What's on my wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Newbie diver. Will probably eventually buy a computer. For now, I'm thinking I should get more comfortable with tables but have a watch with low-level puter capabilities to back up my analog computations. Specifically, I'm looking at the Citizen Aqauland Duplex. 4-dive mem (enough for 1 day beginner, to be sure and enough to figure out PG for first dive the following day), temp. readout, depth display, rapid ascent warning. Also, it can "double" as a regular watch while out and about above water without standing out too much.

Am I on the right track?

What's on your wrists?

Aren't you contradicting yourself: you say you don't want a computer, but the Aqualand Duplex is a computer, albeit with limited functionality.

With the Aqualand you get a top notch (and very good looking) watch that you can also wear on land, plus a poor computer. For the same money you can get a good computer.

As for my wrist: sometimes I wear my compass. For my gauges I prefer a console.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

When I first started, I went pretty quickly to a computer (partially because I love new toys), but there's a lot of useful information that can provide useful feedback when going over your dives to help spot things that you can improve on. It is still important to be able to use the tables (and if you go on to take nitrox training). But it's not much work to keep up on how to use the tables. Just don't forget to do it if you get a computer.

Thanks for the input, Ron. Point taken. I didn't think I was contridicting myself. Here's my line of thinking...

Yes, I'll want a computer in the not-too-distant future. In fact, I'll want one with nitrox capabilities, too (that's in the future plans, as well). However, for my first few dives I'll at least need a good dive watch. Why not get one that has some low-level computer functionality? Then, when I spring for something like a Suunto Vytec, I'll have a great watch with a low-level computer backup for the Suunto. I'll be purchasing two, one for my wife and myself and the price difference is about 1k combined. We just thought we'd spread the cost.

That said, I'm rethinking my strategy in light of your input.

I wear a bottom timer on my right wrist and a compass on my left. My SPG is on a short hose and cliped to my left hip. No danglies.

A lot of people, especially tech divers, like Uwatec bottom timers. However, if you are going to dive with a computer, these bottom timers are a little too bulky to be used as backups, IMHO.

I suggest that you use a cheap watch for now and do some more dives to develop your preferences before spending $300 on the Aqualand. People have widely varying tastes and requirements regarding instruments. You may end up happy with it, but just as likely you may end up putting it on Ebay once you get your Vytec (or whatever you get later).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom