What's special about silicone seals on a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosHokie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry for the newb question, but I did try searching for this via both google and the built in search function... most people just talk about how awesome they are or wish certain manufacturer's had them.

What's special about silicone seals on a drysuit? :confused:

I'm recently certified as a drysuit diver, and looking to buy a suit, but the book that came with the class only mentioned neoprene and latex seals.

Latex seals age quickly compared to silicone, don't stretch as much to fit people as silicone, are killed quickly by heat or sun exposure unlike silicone, and some people are allergic to latex.

I'm really looking forward to putting silicone seals on my suits!

I broke a silicone seal at a demo day. I'm sure it had been through its paces on the tour, but I've definitely used well-loved latex seals before.

I had the SiTech silicone neck seal ring system installed on my Bare drysuit a few months ago. The difference is amazing. Much more comfortable against the skin, easier to pull on and off, actually warmer since they're a bit thicker. The ring system is also pretty neat. You can field replace the seal in a few minutes.

I put silicone on because I was advised it sealed better than latex. Not well enough, but that is a problem of the diver, not the suit. They are very comfortable, though, and give nicely.

I'm having the neck seal replaced by the SiTech system, as well.

I'm recently certified as a drysuit diver, and looking to buy a suit, but the book that came with the class only mentioned neoprene and latex seals.

If you are looking at White's, note they are having an upgrade sale of $99 to have their branded version of the SiTech silicone installed on your suit at the factory. An excellent deal.

Back
Top Bottom