What's the deal! Found 4th AL sure lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I keep finding weight pockets and all 4 have been AL sure lick. I believe I remember a recall on this? Maybe. ....my small sampling tells me there has to be an issue with these! Inadvertently dumping weight just ain't good!

Weight integration was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I much much much prefer my weight belt.

Weight integration was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I much much much prefer my weight belt.[/QUOTE]

Must be nice to have hips! :D Having a 26lb belt slide down around your knees will make you a convert pretty quick.

I got rid of my belt because it wrecked my trim and having no hips I had to cinch it way too tight to be comfortable. I now use tank strap pockets and the pockets (zippered) of my BC. Works for me. It just makes the BC a bit heavy to put on if there's nothing to rest the tank on.

I DM for a shop that uses the AquaLung BC's in their rental fleet and for student use in classes. It seems like every time I DM an Open Water II or AOW class some one looses one of their Sure Lock weight pouches. I have even seen one come out when exiting a wreck at 80', could have been nasty but everything worked out ok.

i think the biggest issue is operator error in not getting the pouches properly secured in the BC. People slide them in and think that the pouch is locked in but not fully secured or not clipped at all.
I tell students to pull on the loop of fabric at the front of the pouch, not the handle, to make sure that the pouches are actually locked in place.

Weight integration was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I much much much prefer my weight belt.

And which problem was that?

I hate the AL surelock weight pockets. They are a lousy design. Almost any other BCD with integrated weights is easier. I have had the pockets fall out after I thought they were in, and I have had two different divemasters who put the weight pocket in had it fall out. Fortunately, they all fell out on the boat so we got them back in. I am going to start doing some special forearm exercises so that I can get the pockets in a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom