Whats the difference between these two MARES reg set ups???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VWJarhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so as with most hobbies I unfortunately get myopically focused and my excitement tends to get ahead of me... That being said I have my OW checkout dives scheduled for next month in Tampa and purchased 2 sets of regs at what I assume was a fair price and both in very good condition. My question though is what are the differences in these 2 regs? I have searched the net, this forum, etc and still cant find a definitive answer. Is one better than the other? Both same just different years? I plan to use one as MY primary set and the other for a spare or for my Girl to use (though hers will likely see less use). Between the two sets which should be MY go to? OR, (and be honest) should I have got something else all together.... Also, MARES can be serviced locally if that is a question.

Set #1 is MARES mr16t first stage w/ Metal Proton 2nd / ABS Proton Octo + AA Cobalt 1 computer

Set#2 is MARES v16 first stage w/ Metal Orbital 2nd stage / ABS Aqualung Octo + Aeris XR1 console insert, SPG, compass

Technically there is no difference between the MR16 and the V16 1sts.

As I remember they both use the SCS poppet configuration which makes the hard seat the moving part instead of a fixed orifice and a moving poppet seat as usual.

That configuration came up around 2000 by quite some diaphragm 1sts manufacturers, but it proved to be too 'creepy', so everybody went back to the standard configuration.

Your first set seems to be the 'better' one, because the Protons are supposed to be be the superior 2nds.
The ABS Aqualung Octo is to me a substandard 2nd.

Also the Protons had their problems, this is why they are not produced anymore, but well adjusted they breathe way better than the ABS Octo of AL.

The first stages are, in your use case (new OW diver) functionally speaking identical. I would suggest you try all of your second stages in the pool, pick the combination you like and get the instructor to swap out ( it is SUPER easy to do yourself as well)

As far as the console is concerned, readability and user friendliness of the 2 computers will be overriding at the moment, get them to swap out the one you need.

With a few noticeable exceptions, any second stage will work with any first stage, ditto with consoles / SPG.

(For example a servo second stage like the Poseidon models require a higher IP than usual, so out the box a Mares 1st stage and a Jetstream second won't like each other, until the 1st is tuned appropriately)

Set #1 are the better regulators. I have been using a Proton Metal 2nd as my octo for about 16 years and have never had any problems with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom