What's the difference between these two spools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For technical diving in overhead environments...yes. There are specific safety critical issues involved with that.

But for an open-water diver?

Who can buy 2-3 non-Delrin spools for the same cost?

but you end up buying 2-3 of them because they crack or break :wink:

Piranha sometimes has Delrin spools available for $15 or so.

Piranha sometimes has Delrin spools available for $15 or so.

yup, Piranha has 100' spools for $16.99 with no double ender ($20.48 with a stainless double ender)
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/search/delrin finger spool spool

scuba.com has a 150' spool for $19.95 with a brass double ender
Buy H2O 150 finger spool PDR-4 with reviews at scuba.com

if you don't want to spend the money for the H you can get a delrin one for a little more than a plastic one, sometimes cheaper

but you end up buying 2-3 of them because they crack or break :wink:

How many have you broken? and how?

In the last 3000 dives, I've never broken one... and I carry them (2) on every dive. The only failures I have ever encountered were with the line itself...and those were predictable upon inspection of the line wear and tear.

If broken spools is such a big issue, worthy of such expense, then perhaps the real fault lies in the chosen stowage position?

From personal experience, I'd rather pay more money for a finger reel that contained higher quality/reinforced line, than for a spool which had super-power indestructibility.

How many have you broken? and how?

In the last 3000 dives, I've never broken one... and I carry them (2) on every dive.

If this is such a big issue, worthy of such expense, then perhaps the real fault lies in the chosen stowage position?

I have broken one, but it was entirely my fault. I had it clipped to my but d ring before I glued pockets onto my travel wetsuit and set the tank down on it. After that I upgraded to the Halcyon coldwater spool, which is good for my local diving. Do you need to spend the extra $30 on a Halcyon one if you're just getting a normal spool? I wouldn't as there are plenty of cheaper ones elsewhere, n fact, sometimes even cheaper than a plastic spool.

Back
Top Bottom