What's the diving in Wakatobi and surrounds like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Following my withdrawal from the Febrina liveaboard trip to Kimbe Bay, I booked a week's trip on board the MV Pelagian in and around the Wakatobi area. I admit that it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction because I had not researched on the destination as I normally do before booking a trip. But I have heard good reports about the diving in Wakatobi; can people who have been there let me know what the diving around Wakatobi is like in early October?

A member of our club just came back from there and raved about it. Had some brilliant photos as well.

Opinions vary, but to me, Wakatobi still rates above both Komodo and Raja Ampat for the best diving in a concentrated area. I'm not saying you can't find diving as good elsewhere, but it seems to be packed into Wakatobi. Don't be expecting pelagics, but aside from that, soft coral, reef life, macro, etc, it's first class. A note about the Pelagian, which I have not been aboard myself, but I've spoken with others who have ... they said that the diving from the boat was not, in their opinion, any better than what you get doing day dives from the resort. And being a liveaboard fan myself, of any land-based resort I've seen, Wakatobi is the one I'd take over boat diving.

I'll second what DiveExploreIndonesia says below about October. Weather was PERFECT then!

Last edited:
As highdesert says, it is a great area for wonderful corals and lots of macro life but larger creatures too can be seen, like eagle and sting rays, turtles and, with a bit of luck, even mantas.....
With regards to the time of the year, October should be good with calm seas and good visibility although, as in any tropical region, conditions vary from week to week......
Enjoy your trip

Thanks people. I'll be spending the first week of that trip (late September-early October) based in Padang Bai in Bali with 15 scheduled dives, including a day trip to Nusa Penida. I hope to see a few Ocean Sunfish and perhaps other pelagics there. Therefore, I will be very happy with colourful coral, tropical fish and macro when I get to Wakatobi.

Wakatobi was absoulty first class. The staff was outstanding, service was great. The house reef was excellent diving. Dive groups were small six people and the gudies went at what ever pace the group wanted to. Oli is an excellent guide. We were shore based so I can not comment on the boat.

We did both land based at Wakatobi and the Pelagian last August. It was fabulous. Incredible corals, lots of macro life. The food was wonderful both at the resort and on the boat. The staff takes excellent care of the divers. We saw somewhat more big stuff from the Pelagian than at the resort, and the day of muck diving is not to be missed, especially the mandarin fish twilight dive. I can't speak to the season, but the boat is one of the nicest liveaboards I've ever been on.

We did both land based at Wakatobi and the Pelagian last August. It was fabulous.
Thanks. I initially considered doing just that but decided to remain in Bali and do the land-based diving from Padang Bai before catching the Wakatobi charter flight for a week of liveaboard diving on board the MV Pelagian. The plan (or hope) with the Bali part of the holiday is to see the Ocean Sunfish in Padang Bai and/or Nusa Penida. Late September - early October should hopefully still bring them out.

Back
Top Bottom