Whats the Flag for??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0311

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thats what two drunk guys asked me while I was diving in Michigan on an inland lake. I had been down about 50 feet and was aware there were boats zooming around above, but on my ascent I stopped at about 15-20 feet and relaxed for a couple minutes and as I did a boat drifted right up to my flag using a little trolling motor. I came to the surface about 20 feet away and somewhat politely asked what was wrong, and they said they were just wondering why there was a tube floating with a flag in it, they thought it had got away from shore and were going to take it into the beach! Just thankful I took my time coming up!

Its amazing how many boaters don't know what a dive flag means. There was an incident at a lake near me where a boater saw a dive flag of a shore diver. He pulled the flag up, cut the line, and took it to water patrol, not knowing what it meant. Water patrol made him show them exactly where he found the flag and then promptly arrested and slapped the boater with a massive fine. When I was in highschool, we had to take a boaters safety class to get a license to operate a boat. Anyone born before a certain date was grandfathered in. I think everyone should have to pass the test. Its pretty easy. Read a book and take a written test.

I couldn't agree more, I took my boaters safety in Michigan and had to do the same. I definitely think we need to do a better job with education and safety.

That really sucks. I'm lucky most of my diving isn't done in high boat traffic areas and the few spots I go with boats see more divers, so they know what it means. I guess I need to remember to be extra careful in new, heavily boat-populated dive sites.

I saw an SMB during the week with DIVER BELOW written down the tube. Seemed quite idiot-proof.

I saw an SMB during the week with DIVER BELOW written down the tube. Seemed quite idiot-proof.

We obviously have a Much better class of idiot than you do. Ours are true achievers. That doesn't even faze them..... :D

Oh so sad Lee :(

.... that ANYone can drive a boat without any training, or licensing whatsoever .. is dumbfounding to me :mad:

Had a friend of mine tell me about a couple of jet skiers using his flag as a turn around in a race...

Back
Top Bottom