Whats the low-down on semi-dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133:
Some of us don't have the cash!! But thanks for your reply. :D
Exactly, and I don't think they are gimmicks. The inner seals do help keep water movement to a minimum. They do help keep you warmer, even if some people think they are a gimmic. I picked up my Pinnacle polar for a steal of a deal. Only used 2 dives and I got it for $175. I still haven't found a drysuit that I think would even be worth while for under a grand. As much as I would like to have a drysuit, I just can't afford one at this time. Luckily semi-dry's are reasonably priced and do work pretty well.

Matt

I have dry, semi, and wet, and I do not think semi's are a gimmick either, when you need to be warmer then a wet suit but can't shell out all the clams for a drysuit a semi is a good option, better than wet, but not as good as dry, I would lean tword the isotherm semi, it has a dryzipper on it.

Of course we could all buy a BP/W and become DIR and all our troubles would be solved. Yes I am being a smart elick.:D Actually I wouldn't mind having a BP/W if I really had a purpose for one.

You dont' have to be DIR to dive BP and wing, I'm a "stroke" and I dive a backplate and wing, we all have a purpose for them, a BC rig that is custom fit and flexible!

crpntr133:
Some of us don't have the cash!! But thanks for your reply. :D

If you were able to afford all the other equipment (regs, bcd, tanks, computer, etc), I'm sure you can afford a drysuit with a little planning and some time. :crafty:

And no, I'm not DIR or have a BP/W ... :D

Canadian_Diver:
If you were able to afford all the other equipment (regs, bcd, tanks, computer, etc), I'm sure you can afford a drysuit with a little planning and some time. :crafty:

And no, I'm not DIR or have a BP/W ... :D

I guess that explains why I don't have my regs as of yet. Of all the other gear that I have the most I paid for anything was the BC, $400. The semi dry I bartered for so I was out no money. I have 2 AL80's on the way even though that isn't totally what I wanted so E7-80's will have to wait. But in the mean time I am saving a few bucks a year versus renting.

I think buying a semi dry is the best of both worlds...especially if you can't afford a dry suit.

crpntr133:
I guess that explains why I don't have my regs as of yet. Of all the other gear that I have the most I paid for anything was the BC, $400. The semi dry I bartered for so I was out no money. I have 2 AL80's on the way even though that isn't totally what I wanted so E7-80's will have to wait. But in the mean time I am saving a few bucks a year versus renting.

I think buying a semi dry is the best of both worlds...especially if you can't afford a dry suit.

True enough. I'm just the type of person that would rather go whole hog right off the hop than have to spend even more money down the road later, it might be a different story however if my financial situation ever changed.

buying a first wetsuit, I did not want to get the same horrors as with the rental rubbers, so I thought risking $260 to what was called a semidry was worth it. I can actually pull the damn thing on (strechy), the suit has metallite seals AND zippers on every opening that will be bulging on ankles only after an occasional dive when I have gulped water by tugging my hood - which is another great thing itself. I dont know how many non-semis come with the bibless hoods... that is such a bonus for me (just pop on top of the suit). I dont think I would survive suiting up on shore if I could not put the hood into the float. I think the back zip is a drysuit zipper, have never seen one tho. I think the Cressi suit (Lontra III) I have is a very good value for a first-trial semidry, I've had my 7mm to 50-75F temps this far with no probs.

conehead

P.S. Now I need to go kniving that hood too that vent hole missing is a negative

piikki:
buying a first wetsuit, I did not want to get the same horrors as with the rental rubbers, so I thought risking $260 to what was called a semidry was worth it. I can actually pull the damn thing on (strechy), the suit has metallite seals AND zippers on every opening that will be bulging on ankles only after an occasional dive when I have gulped water by tugging my hood - which is another great thing itself. I dont know how many non-semis come with the bibless hoods... that is such a bonus for me (just pop on top of the suit). I dont think I would survive suiting up on shore if I could not put the hood into the float. I think the back zip is a drysuit zipper, have never seen one tho. I think the Cressi suit (Lontra III) I have is a very good value for a first-trial semidry, I've had my 7mm to 50-75F temps this far with no probs.

conehead

P.S. Now I need to go kniving that hood too that vent hole missing is a negative

Use a small nail for the hood vent. You don't need anything bigger. Heat it up and push it through the hood.

crpntr,

thx for the tip! Have you used anything to finish/seal the edges of the material on the outside now that you've had the hole for a while? I worry starting fraying if I do some giga-burps over time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom