What's the maximum no fly time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anna1990

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm booking our next dive trip which will be two days / six dives with a max depth of 24m (80ft) and I realised I have no idea what kind of no fly time this trip will give us. We always leave at least 24 hours between last dive and flying out but could no fly time ever be more than that?

I like to stick by what my dive computer (suunto d4i Novo) tells me and I've tried googling but can't find out whether a dive computer will ever have a no-fly time greater than 24 hours?

The DAN recommendations generally max out at 18 hours AFAIK, unless you are doing deco dives or dives close to NDL over repetitive days.

The generally accepted wisdom is that after 24 hours your tissues are clear, which is the period you shouldn't dive if you change out computers etc etc.

I have not heard of a no-fly longer than 24 hours except in the case of a DCS/DCI incident.

My minimum no fly time is 24hrs even after one shallow dive. And sometimes it was a lot longer when I have something else to do other than scuba diving.

Maximum no fly time: infinitive

Reactions: Jay
My minimum no fly time is 24hrs even after one shallow dive. And sometimes it was a lot longer when I have something else to do other than scuba diving.

Maximum no fly time: infinitive
Thats fine if you want that level of conservancy, but in the opinion of most experts, a lot less is needed. This is a big factor for someone doing an expensive trip where losing days of diving unnecessarily may be prohibitive.

DAN Europe - Flying after Diving

My mistake, the 18 hours is not implemented yet, so officially the 24 hour recommendation for max is still in place.

Thanks so much for the link, that's really helpful. I'll go ahead and book those flights and start the countdown to being back in the water!

I seem to recall my Zoop Novo once showing me a no fly in the region of 27 hrs. But a lot of people just follow 24 hrs.

Thanks so much for the link, that's really helpful. I'll go ahead and book those flights and start the countdown to being back in the water!
Enjoy the trip and dive safe!

I think I'm going to make a note of no fly time in the future, it'd be good to have a rough idea what to expect it to be.

If you want to know the absolute maximum no fly that a Suunto is programmed to show, I think it is 48 hours. This happens when you incur a deco obligation but do not discharge the Suunto’s deco. This has happened to me once.

Plenty of divers do 4-5 dives a day for a week, especially on liveaboards but somwtimes even land based, and plan travel by the 24 hour rule. (Granted many will be using Nitrox.) Most wouldn’t consider 6 dives over 2 days a heavy schedule. I’ve done lots of liveaboards like that and don’t think I’ve ever seen my Suunto Vypers/Gekkos suggest no-fly times over 24 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom