Whats the most difficult drill to learn..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Proper bouyancy can be a problem at first. The more you practice it the better you will get. Mastering this skill will make your diving more fun.

When i got my OW cert (all those many many years ago) the sensation of breathing while having my entire face submerged in water (no mask) was a struggle. It just takes a little time and Patience and you'll have no problem, or it may be you have no problem anyway!! GAL!!

J

Most of my students would have said no mask breathing and replace & clear.
Hold the top, dont touch the bottom, look up alittle, blow.

I would tell you it will be midwater compass navagation.

No mask breathing, but it doesn't have to be difficult at all. The only thing required to make it easy is a different approach to teaching the skill.

Here's a post where this is addressed.

When I took my OW course the instructor wants all students to wear gloves. With almost 150 dives I can only remember a a hand full of dives w/o gloves. And all of those were in Mexico.

freediver:
By far the most difficult drill to learn is trying to get money in the bank to cover the check you just wrote for expensive scuba equipment! :D

I second that one... From what I remember breathing underwater and replacing my mask was the most difficult. This was compounded due to the fact that I was wearing contacts.

Most people don't have much trouble with the skills. Sometimes a little patience on behalf of the DM or Instructor can go a long way.

Also - Don't beat yourself up if something that presents a challenge. The main idea is to enjoy the program and learn the skills as they're presented one at a time.

The open water environment is definitely diffferent than the pool, but a good briefing before the dive should let you know what to expect once you get under the surface.

Again, the idea is to have fun.

The skill I found hardest to teach was managing a free flowing reg midwater. Almost nobody has trouble with it kneeling on the bottom but put them midwater and it's a different story. It might not be uncommon for students to have trouble with mask skills but it certainly isn't everybody. I don't think I can remember ANY student who didn't need to practice the midwater free flow thing some before they avoided getting shot to the surface. Now, the bad news. Free flows aren't all that uncommon and some agencies don't teach it at all. Of those that do, most classes will only teach it on the bottom. the problem is that when we dive things usually happen midwater unless we arre always crawling through our dives.

Second in line for requiring the most practice would be midwater mask skills. being able to do it on the bottom is fine but when we are really diving we need to be able to manage it midwater and dive at the same time.

Obviously for any of this to happen, the student must first learn to control themselves midwater and some classes only give you a few minutes off the bottom in the entire course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom