Whats the most difficult drill to learn..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most dificult. Is the one less practiced.

OW skills are that, to learn. Then practiced.

Safe dives

None of the skills are particularly 'difficult' in themselves but there are some elements of the skills that people struggle with. The skills are designed to keep you safe & comfortable while you are diving. From a instructor point of view there are a couple of skills people are more likely to struggle with. :diver:
The first one is the simple concept of breathing through a regulator as they're used to breathing through their nose & struggle when they can't (also a problem when it comes to mask skills)
The other one is the one that's been mentionned already in this thread & that's the mask skills. Some people struggle with clearing but more often it when they have to take the mask off & breath without it & then replace it afterwards. I find that getting people to put their face in the water & breath from their regulator without their mask on helps a lot with this, in fact it's the first thing I do when I get them in the water with their kit. Once I'm happy they're OK with this then I let then put their masks on.
As with all the skills you're going to learn, the best thing to do is to take your time & be comfortable with the skill before moving onto the next one. Break the skills down into smaller steps if you come across something you struggle with. You have an instructor there to help you, if there is anything at all you're not comfortable with then speak to them.
Good luck

Bouyancy is something else that people take a while to get right, remember it's not very easy to maintain neutral buoyancy in 1m of water, it will be easier when you move out to the open seas

For me the only real challenge I had was replacing my weight belt on the surface in choppy seas. I did it before the challenge turned into a problem but I was whipped when I was done. Evan Brown, my instructor, was the definition of patience as he calmly waited and made quiet suggestions.

As was pointed out, the challenge is different for everyone. Now, after many dives, mid-water navigation is a challenge.

Sea ya!

No, I am not saying that using gloves is harder. I am refering to something else saying that people in the pool don't use gloves or hood and then when they go to open water and add gloves or hood it adds to everything it can be a little unnerving. And skills can become a little harder dealing with the hood when messing with your mask or the gloves make things feel different.

so far for me, it's back kicking. i know it isn't an ow requirement, but i've been working on it over a year & it's still iffy. the only other skill-type thing i really have to think about right now is which post has which things attached for valve drills. once i get those things down, it'll be something else...

my point is that there's always something that needs lots of practice & attention. non-newbies have lots of things to practice, too. make sure all your dives incorporate practicing *something*!

The first desent can be a bit of an issue for some. When you have to let the air out of your BCD, equalize you ears watch where you are going, etc. It's not hard but it takes a bit of getting used to. Or on the opposite end of that, your first ascent. You have to mind your rate of speed going up, granted you should be at shallow enough depths but unless you have a line to gauge your rate you can go up faster than you should. These are just all bouyancy issues, so once you get these down, it's a piece of cake. If you wear contacts, make sure you keep your eyes closed when you remove your mask!! There's nothing like a dive that you can't see anything.

My toughest skill to learn was\is bouyancy. Doing what is required to pass the OW exam in bouyancy was okay, but actually getting good at it while diving.
-I think the amount of difficulty that people have with the skills might depend on the frequency they were in a pool\ocean. Just a theory\guess I have. I had a pool with a deep end since I was a kid, and I basically lived in the pool all summer. I've always felt comfortable around water.

Michael

deepblueme:
Most of my students would have said no mask breathing and replace & clear.
Hold the top, dont touch the bottom, look up alittle, blow.......

Having just qualified I'd love to be able to help you with the whole potentially daunting mask thing. The problem was, for me, just a little bit of water gets into my nose, a few coughs and splutters follow, and now here we go, I find myself getting a bit panicky and the mask clear has become a worrying issue....

My advice, not that of an expert, but that of a recently-worried but now very confident mask clearer is this:

Hold the top, dont touch the bottom, BLOW, THEN look up a little.....

Of course it's about practice, but just remember DON'T LOOK UP UNTIL YOU'RE BLOWING OUT.

Have fun.

ps No disrespect meant to Deepblueme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom