What's the nicest compliment you've ever received?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah but there's 8300 km in a straight line between me and her so there's not much risk in accepting the compliment..... LOL

Although the next time I go to the Yucatan I (and with some luck some of my closest friends) are definitely dropping in for an evening of wine, good times and the clean fresh Mexican breeze. (so if you want to back out, Kris, now's your chance).

R..

Yeah but there's 8300 km in a straight line between me and her so there's not much risk in accepting the compliment..... LOL

Although the next time I go to the Yucatan I (and with some luck some of my closest friends) are definitely dropping in for an evening of wine, good times and the clean fresh Mexican breeze. (so if you want to back out, Kris, now's your chance).

R..

Wouldn't dream of backing out! Come on down.....

First of all, I think from a woman's perspective (correct me if I say something Charlie Brownish here) but it seems to me that women generally become -- and for good reason -- suspicious of men's motives for saying *anything* complimentary to them. The simple fact is that men often are NOT sincere about compliments and it can be difficult to see the difference between a sincere compliment and disguised advances.

R..

In my experience, these days women have a dual standard on compliments; if the compliment comes from someone they want a compliment from, they are pleased, if not, they take it as an affront. How they determine which catagory a man falls in is a complete mystery.

The exchange of compliments is an integral part of of culture; it is a characteristic of chivalry. It demonstrates an interest in the feelings of other people and provides an opportunity to exhibit ones wit, aesthetics and education. It is an exercise in courtesy, which is the final bastion against the collapse of civilization as we know it.

I make it a policy to complement women whenever I can. There is no hidden agenda to it as I am not in the market for feminine companionship, having already won the jackpot in that game; I just enjoy seeing women smile. If they smile on receiving a compliment I feel warm and fuzzy. If they recoil in abject horror I figure it's their loss, not mine.

How they determine which catagory a man falls in is a complete mystery.

Well unlike men, I think women actually DO somehow consciously decide who they like and who they don't.... :) This is occasionally done based on such vagaries as "personality" and "intelligence" but can just as easily be based on "muscle growth" and "chest hair". In extreme cases (BTDT) it can eve be based on teh thickness of your ..... wrist... and shoe size.

Men, on the other hand, decide who they like based on a much smaller set of critera on the whole. Intelligence and personality mean nothing to the average man as long as he can choose between that and breast size and % body-fat.

The exchange of compliments is an integral part of of culture; it is a characteristic of chivalry. It demonstrates an interest in the feelings of other people and provides an opportunity to exhibit ones wit, aesthetics and education. It is an exercise in courtesy, which is the final bastion against the collapse of civilization as we know it.

so... you don't think that compliments are a thinly veiled mating dance?

I make it a policy to complement women whenever I can. There is no hidden agenda to it as I am not in the market for feminine companionship, having already won the jackpot in that game; I just enjoy seeing women smile. If they smile on receiving a compliment I feel warm and fuzzy. If they recoil in abject horror I figure it's their loss, not mine.

and most women (including your wife) accept that you engage in thinly veiled mating dances with every woman who comes within striking distance?

R..

if the compliment comes from someone they want a compliment from, they are pleased, if not, they take it as an affront. How they determine which catagory a man falls in is a complete mystery.
I think common sense goes a long way here. If she's 18 and you're 42, keep it to yourself. If she's the prom queen and you're still working on getting your first date, be careful. In general, I have always found that women send out pretty clear signals if they are receptive to our advances.

Last edited:
Well unlike men, I think women actually DO somehow consciously decide who they like and who they don't.... :) This is occasionally done based on such vagaries as "personality" and "intelligence" but can just as easily be based on "muscle growth" and "chest hair". In extreme cases (BTDT) it can eve be based on teh thickness of your ..... wrist... and shoe size.

Men, on the other hand, decide who they like based on a much smaller set of critera on the whole. Intelligence and personality mean nothing to the average man as long as he can choose between that and breast size and % body-fat.

so... you don't think that compliments are a thinly veiled mating dance?

and most women (including your wife) accept that you engage in thinly veiled mating dances with every woman who comes within striking distance?

R..

Um, I'm thinking we'll need a bigger bucket.

:lurk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom