What's the smallest portable gas powered compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Model, who makes it, cost, where can I get one?

I have a Nuvair Compact 3.5G, which as far as I know is the smallest gas powered unit on the market. I'm about to dump it, because it's still just too damn big and heavy. I'm a full time live aboard and got this for my boat, but about the only place it really fits is in the cockpit, and it takes up too much room there.

We were able to make a slightly smaller unit than most of the other units out there.

However most of the time the owners take a Bauer Jr. with them, and find the space on the boat. In two cases they have made custom chests to store the compressor on the deck just in front of the mast. In another case, we made a very nice cabinet that dropped over the unit, and it was stored in the main salon until needed. Fills were done on deck.

Smallest boat I have seen a compressor on. A Tarten 34. I think fondly of the owners of that boat, and the diving that they introduced us to on a frequent basis.

Mostly it is a question of if the compressor is that important to you. If it is find a place in your life for it. If it isn't then get rid of it. Standard Liveaboard lesson, and even more so for those headed offshore for the cruising lifestyle.

Guy

Tough question. It's all a toss up!

The closer you get to paradise the more places there are to get fills right on the water, and usually cheaper than the US, or at least NJ, where I am now.

Also, someone on Cruiser Forum mentioned that at least in the Caribbean, more and more of the islands, up to 1/3 now, are restricting private diving anyway.

On the other hand, the compressor is great to have if you want to hit more remote spots.

Guess I could store it in one of the lazarettes until I get to those locations. But as I said, very heavy. It would have to be lowered in there on kind of an angle, and sure won't be easy to lift it back out.

I'm on a cat, so weight is an issue too. Foredeck, probably not a good idea anyway, but it would interfere with the genoa...and block the view from my master stateroom. In a case behind the mast (best spot as far as space and weight distribution goes) but it would restrict my vision from the helm...especially when docking/motoring in high traffic areas.

Pretty much leaves me with cockpit or lazarrette. Could always leave it in the cockpit and make a cover with a cushion for it, so it's least kind of usable, but still going to take up a lot of space. Either going to block the door from fully opening or going to block one of the lockers.

Maybe go with a hookah for those really remote spots? I'm not a fan, but cheap, small, and lightweight?

Or another option, although probably not a great idea, could be removing the components from the frame, and building a custom frame to try to get it into a smaller package. Or maybe even mounting them directly to the boat inside of one of the lockers?

You're limited to what has already been mentioned. BTW, the Nuvair is a Coltri, which is sold under many brand names. Then you have Bauer and Omiva (sp), also sold under several brand names. Not sure about Alkin. Most all of these packages are about the same weight/size. If you can find a used Bauer U-10, it will ease the lifting out part as the engine section can be separated from the compressor section without tools. Allowing you to carry/lift the unit in two separate parts. They designed it this way to be able to switch from gas to electric drivers without tools.

Craig

Grunzster, I may have a solution for you.
I build many custom size compressors for divers boats. I can assemble a unit that will deliver up to 5000PSI grade E air at 2.4 CFM using a 5 HP OHV gas engine. I sell a lot of the electric version to HP Air gunners and there is no limit on run time for these units. I see a lot of them running 2-4 hours continuous filling larger storage tanks. Size will be 28X16X18 and weight about 110 lbs Price will be $2500 plus shipping
Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com
S

Jim, that's not really any smaller than the Nuvair...although a few lbs. lighter and cheaper. I'll keep you in mind when i upgrade to a bigger boat.

I doubt this will help you, being on a cat (probably saildrives or outboards?), but I once saw a compressor that fits between the engine and driveshaft on a straight drive yacht. Didn't even know it was there until the engine cover was removed.

Sadly I can't remember the name of it. I think it was an orange/grey colour.
Possibly a totally useless post, but might be something to google up if you have a minute.

I'm on a Gemini, which is a smaller cat with a single I/O. If I had one of the bigger guys, even just a 36' FP, I'd probably permanently mount it to the transom with a cover. Or just leave it in the cockpit with a cover and cushion on it, like I said earlier, since the cockpit on the wider beam cats are so much bigger.

I think I'll sell it off for now, and pick one up in a few years when I upgrade to that Lagoon. HAHA!

I had similar concerns regarding weight when I bought my compressor. I needed to easily load it into my ski boat (almost 6-ft high gunwales while on it's trailer) and then from my ski boat onto the houseboat while on the water. At most, this would require 2 people. What I found was an engine/compressor on one frame, and all the filtration on another. I was surprised how much the filtration/valves/gauges and fill whips weigh.

While I haven't had a chance to use this setup, I know it will be a lot easier with the weight divided between two packages. I was also thinking of using the filtration assembly on a yet-to-be-purchased electric driven compressor at my house. That would save in replicating the equipment after the compressor. The filtration assembly simply connect to the compressor output with a single fitting.

Maybe if you could separate the components of your compressor/filter into two assemblies, it would be more manageable from both a weight per assembly and space per assembly basis?

My LDS kind of put a kink in these plans when they introduced their Unlimited Air Fills for a one time fee of $30. I can't begin to operate my own compressor for that price. If I get to using Nitrox or Trimix on a regular basis locally, that might be motivation to bring the home compressor online.

That's definitely an option Waterskier1. Looks like I could easily separate engine and fuel tank from compressor and valves. Since they're only connected by belt, I was even considering rigging it to my diesel. Not as fuel efficient as that little Honda though, harder to track hours that way, and a little more of a project than I'd like to take on.

Took another look at Nuvair's site, though. Just the frame is a lot heavier than you'd expect. The compact, same exact unit, with a different frame only weighs 84lbs., 37lbs. lighter. I bet by eliminating the frame entirely, maybe just keeping the cage for the belt and the fan, and mounting it on a piece of plywood, I could get it under 70lbs. (and it would be a little smaller too.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom