What's with the arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
You keep your hand on the inflator? Do you ever dive with a light?

Of couse I have a can light, If I use a reel , the lighthead is on top of the handle. If I'm not using a reel the light is in my right hand( TUCKED IN TIGHT TO THE BODY)

Do you feel that keeping your arms tucked tightly to your body gives you a significant advantage in terms of drag? Moreover, do you feel it gives you any disadvantages at all (access to equipment/gauges not as easy, reg deployment slower, anything like that)?

Does the drag advantage outweigh the other disadvantages for you? If so, you're welcome to dive that way. I think that those of us who dive with our arms out in front think that any drag advantage is either nonexistant or insignificant in light of the advantages of having our arms out in front of us.

I'm also trying to picture how you would hold a light with your arm tucked into your body. Explain?

novadiver:
Left hand on my inflater , tucked in tight to the body.( for buoancy controll). Right hand tucked beside left ( unless using a reel)

Hmmm ... I kind've had the same question as Jonny.

The reason I dive in the lemming position is so I can use my light (which is attached to my hand) and read my gauges (which are attached to my wrists). When the arms are tucked in as you describe, you can do neither.

I don't see that it compromises streamlining at all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I covered my wet suit with the skin of a shark that died naturally in order to reduce un-necessary drag.

NWGratefulDiver:
The reason I dive in the lemming position
Great, now everyone will henceforth refer to "arms-forward" as "the lemming position" :eyebrow:

cdiver2:
I think this post should be in the DIR section, if your not doing it my way then you are obviously not doing it right
This post does not belong here. No one has said anything of the kind.. in fact, there was a good discussion of the relative merits of each method. It belongs right where it is.

cdiver2:
I think this post should be in the DIR section, if your not doing it my way then you are obviously not doing it right

Uh, a quick search of this thread shows 1 hit on the term DIR...in your post. He asked why, we answered why....do you have objections to our reasons?

I object to the innuendo SNOW PLOW and I think one other sees it this way when asking "is this a troll".
No I don't dive in the snow plow position or my arms folded on my chest, I have my arms along my side with hands tucked under the base of the tank...because its comfortable

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom