What's with the arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Once upon a time, this thread was actually going somewhere.. :crafty:
Yep it was . . . downhill, and fast . . . :banghead:

Soooo .... is everyone done yet? Or should we move this thread to Whine and Cheeze?

:eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I kinda like watching the thread denigrate into name calling as quite a few SB threads do...

NWGratefulDiver:
Soooo .... is everyone done yet? Or should we move this thread to Whine and Cheeze?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I have something to say about the original post. I've seen pictures of divers with their arms held horizontal in front of them and I would bet it tires your shoulders, especially with a thicker wet suit on, and increases your air consumption. Don't you want to be as relaxed as possible? I do.

Hank49:
Well, I have something to say about the original post. I've seen pictures of divers with their arms held horizontal in front of them and I would bet it tires your shoulders, especially with a thicker wet suit on, and increases your air consumption. Don't you want to be as relaxed as possible? I do.

to dive the way I LIKE. When I dive with my camera, two strobes and modeling light I dive in the snow plow position so that I can see the camera and make sure I don't hit anything with it and I am ready to get a quick shot, my shoulders do OK.

Hey wait. I just realized that I do the snow-plow thing when I read my gauges. I hadn't thought about it objectively before.

cdiver2:
to dive the way I LIKE. When I dive with my camera, two strobes and modeling light I dive in the snow plow position so that I can see the camera and make sure I don't hit anything with it and I am ready to get a quick shot, my shoulders do OK.

Sure, when I'm filming underwater I hold the camera out front. It's the only way to look through the lnes. but I've seen people holding their arms out with nothing in their hands. You have to flex the shoulder muscle in order to hold your arms in that postion. Flexed muscle requires increased oxygen demand. Only a little, but increased.

Hank49:

Well...I think you have something there. I found it's not as comfortable in a wetsuit because your arms don't float. In a drysuit it's a very comfortable position because you have air in your arms so they kind of float there. Also, on deco it's an optimal position because you can see your gauges. However, sometimes I do like to just let my arms float up if I'm not swimming. If I'm swimming sometimes I'm in the "snowplow" position and sometimes I let my right arm drag behind me with my left out in front for light communication.

I dive wet, and the "snowplow" is definately not the most comfortable position.........talking about positions.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom