What's wrong with the OMS dual bladder 100#'s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like in the picture on OMS's site that the bladders are stacked, not one inflator to each side, so I would suggest that you only use one inflator for normal use, so that you only have to remember to dump from one inflator

According to all the pix I have seen in OMS cat. one inflator is over the left shoulder and the other is over the right.

W/ double bladder the second is there only for backup, you would never use more than one inflator (except if there is a failure of the primary).

trob09:
I don't think it's borderline...Head & Top of shoulders out of the water when the tanks are full, better than that at the end of the dive when they are +/- 1/3 remaining. The wing is not fully inflated, either.

Like I said, I've used a 70 and find it to be more than I need for that load. If you feel the need for more lift, have at it.

tim
I didn't mean that the 70 was borderline, I think that a 55 might be borderline for the 5 tank dive you were talking about. I think that a 70 is more than adequate for any dive.

TT

Have to disagree with both Boogie and Trob - at least partly. As admitted Trob to using a 55# wing. The OMS 100# are 2 isolated 50# bladders (yes stacked). Dive by only adding air to ONE bladder - excellent recommendation by a previous post. You have one for redundancy. Same thought as having isolated first stages. You can count a drysuit for some back up lift but I certainly would not want to ascent using just the lift of a drysuit after somesort of bladder failure.

Boogie711:
Trob09 nailed it - a 100 pound wing is way too huge for anything you will ever take into the water.

Grazie - you're mistaking dry weight on land for bouyancy. They're not the same thing. An AL80 weighs about 35 pounds - so when you're diving a single AL80 do you need a 35 lb wing? Of course not. You're not trying to float your rig on dry land, are you? So why talk about dryland weight?

Let's take Trob's example for a minute. He had LP120's, which are water-coolers on his back. Easily 100 lbs in dry land weight there. Two AL80 stages (another 70 lbs,) plus a 40 (20 lbs) plus a cannister light (anywhere from 3-15 lbs. By now, we're up to needing a 200 lb wing! Augh! :)

But no - he floated the whole thing with a 55 lb wing.

TwoTanks:
I didn't mean that the 70 was borderline, I think that a 55 might be borderline for the 5 tank dive you were talking about. I think that a 70 is more than adequate for any dive.

TT

OOPS missed this one.

I got your meaning, sorry if my response wasn't clear. I was describing the 55lb wing. I do not find it to be borderline for the dive described (which i have repeated on quite a few occasions).

But as I say, dive whatever makes you happy.

Which part isolated or stacked?

jonnythan:
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

gdive:
Have to disagree with both Boogie and Trob - at least partly. As admitted Trob to using a 55# wing. The OMS 100# are 2 isolated 50# bladders (yes stacked). Dive by only adding air to ONE bladder - excellent recommendation by a previous post. You have one for redundancy. Same thought as having isolated first stages. You can count a drysuit for some back up lift but I certainly would not want to ascent using just the lift of a drysuit after somesort of bladder failure.

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with me about, but I've been know to be a little slow sometimes. anyway,

A quick review of the OMS website reveals that while OMS _does_ make a dual-bladder 100# wing (94# actually...) they also make a 100# single bladder wing (again, 94#). It is part # BC117*-*K

I am willing to be proven wrong, but I would bet that the OMS double 100# (94...) isn't 2 50# bladders but 2 100's inside the same shell. I'll put $5 on it. Prove me wrong & I will mail you the $$. Seriously.

As far as redundancy goes, somewhere along the tech training path I needed to demonstrate the ability to maintain neutral buoyancy at depth using just the drysuit and separately, just a lift bag. I also needed to stay afloat using just the drysuit and just a liftbag for 10 minutes (each). this was done with double steel 104's and 2 full Al 80 stages in fresh water. While it wouldn't be my primary choice of lift, it works (the drysuit is much easier than the lift bag...)

T

Hoped I would get your clarification before I left; however it is late in the date and all us good govt. employees need to jet for the weekend to hit the water. I will try and guess the part you are asking about. True they are not quite 50#ers, math works out to 47#s each. Isolated? Confirmed, You cannot inflate the bladder using the right inflator and dump it using the left. Stacked vs not stacked? This is my only 1-2% doubt area. However, you can put air into one inflator and the wings inflate evenly (not just on one side). I cannot think of another orientation that would achieve this effect. However, I will visually check this as I dive those very wings and will certainly correct any info if I am mistaken.

jonnythan:
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

Mmm? Well I am not sure this will convince you but the OMS web site lists BC118-K as a Dual Bladder BC with 94#s of lift. I would ASSUME (I know I am setting myself up with that) that it is saying both bladders fully inflated will produce lift of 94#s. If you are correct that 2-94# bladders are included it would have to inflate to twice the size of the single bladder, 94# wing. Don't think that this happens. Mine seems to inflate to the same size as the single bladder.

trob09:
I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with me about, but I've been know to be a little slow sometimes. anyway,

A quick review of the OMS website reveals that while OMS _does_ make a dual-bladder 100# wing (94# actually...) they also make a 100# single bladder wing (again, 94#). It is part # BC117*-*K

I am willing to be proven wrong, but I would bet that the OMS double 100# (94...) isn't 2 50# bladders but 2 100's inside the same shell. I'll put $5 on it. Prove me wrong & I will mail you the $$. Seriously.

As far as redundancy goes, somewhere along the tech training path I needed to demonstrate the ability to maintain neutral buoyancy at depth using just the drysuit and separately, just a lift bag. I also needed to stay afloat using just the drysuit and just a liftbag for 10 minutes (each). this was done with double steel 104's and 2 full Al 80 stages in fresh water. While it wouldn't be my primary choice of lift, it works (the drysuit is much easier than the lift bag...)

T

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom