What's your backup mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you keep the mask in your pocket from fogging up when you switch and wear it?
I use spit, the kind in the bottle, lol, I smear 1 drop around the inside, fold the mask up and put it in my pocket or butt pouch if sidemount. I have switched back and forth several times in one dive and never had a problem with fogging.
I did go through a very elaborate process when the masks were new to eliminate any possibility of fogging.
I believe that process was detailed at length in a forum here a few years ago. Don't quote me, but it involved soaking in ammonia crystals and baking soda for a week, with some other goofy stuff like running it thru the dishwasher, but it definitely worked.

I plan to put the Tusa anti-fog film on my backup mask. Allegedly this works well.
Or, just take a few precious seconds -- spit and rinse both masks before the dive.

I had done that when I had to remove a full face mask, some time ago, and it worked like a charm -- no fogging.

I have yet to purchase designer spit . . .

Or, just take a few precious seconds -- spit and rinse both masks before the dive.

I had done that when I had to remove a full face mask, some time ago, and it worked like a charm -- no fogging.

Said the guy with the lugy dripping down his face

Both identical. Im not sure which one is the primary or the backup until it’s suit up time.

Abalone slime was the best defog I ever used.

Hi,

Looking into purchasing a backup mask. Something compact so it won't take up much space in my suit pocket.
Any recommendations?

Both identical. Im not sure which one is the primary or the backup until it’s suit up time.
Agree! I am not to sure why or what the reasoning would be for having a different backup mask. The mask you always use you know it fits perfect, does not leak, does not fog, is adjusted to your head, comfy for you, and if its prescription has the right lens, etc. so why would you not just use another one of these as your backup?

The purpose of a backup mask is to replace your mask if it breaks/loose it. Murphy's Law will always give you a mask failure at the worst possible time when you least expect it in some kind of emergency situation. The last thing you want in a situation like this is to pull out a mask that's different to your normal mask go to mask. I have seen this sooooo many times on courses where people are doing back up mask deployment skills and they switch to there "backup" mask that is different and then it starts to leak, fog up, strap is not adjusted, its uncomfortable, etc. and of course the first thing the student wants to do is switch back to there "primary" mask. It is really quick and easy lesson that your backup mask should be the same. Especially if you have 1-2 hr of deco left with a leaking foggy mask, talk about an unpleasant diving experience.

I actually have 3 of the same mask because really 2 mask is required diving kit so you actually really need a 3rd one to be a true spare.

My primary mask is an Atomic. In terms of field of view, it edges out my Hollis M1 mask that is now the backup.

Primary is XDeep and backup Atomic beaver. Xdeep is quite wide mask and when diving cold water I put it under the hood. Adjusting the hood on the surface before the dive is ok. When changing mask during dive I don't want to touch my hood and that's why I use Atomic which is just a bit narrower and fits without touching the hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom