What's your breakfast before diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides, the country with the highest life expectancy in the world is Japan. And traditionally, their staple food is rice. You know, as in almost pure, unadulterated starch. With veggies, a little fish and some soy on the side. You don't think that that little fact kind of contradicts the hypothesis that starch is evil?

This is actually a VERY important point in this discussion....it brings Glycemic Response into the picture....how long it takes and how much sugar is released into your bloodstream from various foods.... Both white and brown rice have much lower Glycemic Responses than breads available in grocery stores in America. Even the glycemic index is lower for the rice than breads, but the index number is far less meaningful than the response in your body.
I would expect that the cup of rice that comes with a Japanese meal, is going to have a limited amount of sugar release for most people, one that does not typically precipitate a person in the direction of insulin resistance and diabetes or A.G.E...This rice would also be served with fish and sometimes with some fat( oil) --fat slows down the glycemic response as well. With intelligent portions, the fish and rice can be very healthy, by glycemic response standards.
Vegetables break down very slowly( very low glycemic response) , and could be a large part of the ideal diet ---high in fat, moderate in protein, plenty of very low glycemic raw vegetables, and ultra low in sugar.

What Ive had for breakfast once and wont do again is shredded wheat. What kind of diabolic invention is THAT crap??
One is not enough, two is still not enough, three hits the spot - AND THEN THE **** EXPANDS IN THE STOMACH??!?? :eek:

Rather than respond to individual posts, I'm going to attempt a rather broad discussion on carbohydrates, sugars, and dieting. My personal pet peeve as a doctor is anti-carb sentiment and the Atkin's diet philosophy that carbohydrates and starches are inherently the root cause of all people being overweight. It is a very simple equation, calories in should equal calories out. If you eat and balance your calorie intake to your calorie expendature you will maintain your weight. If you eat more calories than you require you will gain weight. It does matter to some degree what type of calories you ingest, but the total quantity is overall more important.

Every Olympics they like to run segments on what and how much the Olympic athletes eat. When they looked at Michael Phelps he was consuming an almost obscene amount of calories, including those bad starchy carbs. He would eat pancakes, pizza, bread, and even candy. I'm not sure exactly how many calories, but I think the total was over 4,000 cal/day. Us mere mortals would balloon to morbidly obese in a very short time eating that many calories.

I have the children's riddle, what weighs more? a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? They are actually the same, one pound. However, the volume of feathers vs the volume of bricks is very different. You would fill up well before 500 calories trying to eat celery or cucumbers. You could get to 1,000 calories with most restaurant desserts. I feel it is important to focus not on the sugar or carbohydrate but the total number of calories. Take a 12 oz. Coke for example, it is about 140 calories. One Coke a day could lead to 10 lbs weight gain over 3 months. Don't drink sodas? Keep in mind one breadstick at the Olive Garden is about 160-180 calories each. That's more calories than a can of Coke.

If you took a piece of paper and a pencil and drew a diagram of a glucose molecule you can't tell what source it came from. Glucose is glucose. But, how concentrated foods are varies greatly. Fresh fruits and vegetables have some, concentrated sugars have a lot more in a very small package. It is more the concentration of glucose/sugar that is the problem.

The Glycemic Index was mentioned, but a better and more accurate measure of carbohydrates is the Glycemic Load - in otherwords, how much volume did you have to eat to get to the glycemic load. Watermelon may be a little high on the Glycemic Index but the Glycemic Load is very low. It actually has less sugars and carbohydrates since the majority of the fruit is water compared to what the Index may seem to imply. A French baguette however is very high on both the Glycemic Index and the Glycemic Load. If you are going to eat, then eat in moderation.

Which is actually the main point. Everything in moderation and nothing to excess. The carbohydrates aren't necessarily bad, but the amount of calories in sugars and carbs can be overwhelming in very small amounts. It can fool you if you eat by visual guestamations of volume. You don't think you are getting as many calories in the smaller volumes but you may be shocked when you start counting. By default, since fresh fruits and vegetable in particular have much fewer calories by volume they should be the preferred choices.

I've seen the studies on Anti-Aging, have even attended some of their educational conferences. I personally found them to be a little more gimicky and hype than actual medical science. Just my interperetation on what was being presented. You also have to be very careful about what is being presented as science. I had one personal trainer tell me that if you fast you will become obese. He was mistakenly trying to tell me that fasting creates high levels of insulin to be secreted by the body. Actual medical fact and phsyiology is that fasting decreases insulin production. And it is not an issue with glycemic spikes and insulin release, it is the amount of adipose and fat tissue that has to respond to the insulin. Obese weight and increased BMI is the concern for insulin resistance and pre-diabetes.

Eat in moderation, exercise, maintain lean body weight and you won't have to worry as much about what you eat. Then again, if you have a lean body weight to begin with you must be doing something right.

Sorry if it is a little long.

4000 calories a day is obscene? I think that number sounds low, given an average adult male would need somwhere between 2500 and 3000 calories a day. Just to keep your body functioning you tend to need 1500-2000 calories and thats without any activity.
People who exercise need a lot more and I think its safe to say Phelps, an olympic athlete, exercise.
If you want to talk obscene ammounts of calories, look to tour de france where the cyclists consume over 6000 calories a day and they still lose weight over the course of the tour. They actually struggle with stuffing their face well enough..

EDIT: Using myself as an example of the "average adult male" Im about 75kg, 178cm (165 lbs/5'10") wich makes my BMI 23,6 which is high end of ideal weight.
My BMR (Base metabolic rate) would then be ~1750 calories burned just being alive.
Without any activities accounted for this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/327551913 workout, which is good, but by no means extreme puts me well over 3000 calories needed and thats before the days even half done..

Last edited:
The big problem I have is staying warm. My SAC has dropped over the years to a very low level for the simple reason that my movements are minimal, economical and efficient. The flip side of this is that by not exercising my muscles I feel the cold much more. When I do a dive where I have to exercise and swim constantly I don't get cold but when just hanging around a reef or a wreck then I find I really need a high sugar/carb intake beforehand to avoid feeling the cold.

Have you looked at your exposure protection? One of my dive buddies is a "freezer" as well. I've been comfortable in a 3 mil wetsuit while he was in a drysuit.

A small portion of mild protein (agree on abstaining from bacon...belching in the reg gets annoying) half a banana, coffee and water, water, water. We take Bubba jugs filled with ice water on the boat.

It is a very simple equation, calories in should equal calories out. If you eat and balance your calorie intake to your calorie expendature you will maintain your weight. If you eat more calories than you require you will gain weight. It does matter to some degree what type of calories you ingest, but the total quantity is overall more important.

Which is why I try to stay away from added sugars, refined flours and high-fat foods. They're calorie bombs with little additional nutritional value. OTOH, a balanced diet based on fish, fruit, veggies, whole grain flour and lean meat in moderation gives plenty of nutritional value with moderate amounts of calories.

Everything in moderation and nothing to excess.
Quoted for truth. The best diet advice ever given.

Back
Top Bottom