Wheeled Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rolling canvas ice hockey bags are roomy, but flatten when empty. Don't advertise SCUBA goodies for thieves.

So, they flatten when empty, still have a big footprint. Is there room for it under your seat or do you have to store it somewhere else, in my way?

I attach my BP/W to my doubles and don it to carry it to my seat on the boat. Then I make a second trip for my Stahlsac mesh backpack that holds everything else. By that point, it seems very light. If I really needed to do it all in one trip, I could hand carry the mesh backpack while carrying my doubles on my back.

So, they flatten when empty, still have a big footprint. Is there room for it under your seat or do you have to store it somewhere else, in my way?
The one I have is not wide like regular suitcases, and fits under dive bench. In fact, it stores away better than the old floppy dive bags. the problem with bags in the way is if a person Sits where the boat crew is already storing spare stuff, often towards the back.

For day trips a mesh diving bag is good. For travel and liveaboards I have been using a Stahlsac wheeled diving bag. It's pricy but it has lasted nearly 20 years and handles all my gear and clothing needs. It's very well made and tough.

I will also give a +1 to XS Scuba -- with a few caveats.

I mainly use this product for local diving. It's cold water here so it's enough to fit everything including my 8/7 semi-dry or any gear that I might need to help with a class. I must warn that this bag is a pain to roll if you are either short and/or you do not have the bag full of gear. The reason is that it doesn't have a rigid frame which makes it nice to stow away on a dive boat or liveaboard but makes it awful for dragging because it can slouch when not full. Also, because I'm shorter (5'4"), even when full, the bag tends to bang into my legs a lot based on how long the handle strap is and where it's located. This is primarily a design issue and would have been better if the pull handle were on either side or at the very back of the bag on the top like travel luggage and not stitched on in the center. There are carry handles on this bag but when full + weights, it's not very ergonomic to carry up a set of stairs or over sand - I also wish it had a shoulder strap or backpack strap. My only other wish list here is to have a smaller pocket for smaller gear that tends to get lost in the cavernous bag.

It's a very sturdy and well-made bag outside of this. Bombproof.

I'm not so sure that I would bring this on a dive trip even on a dayboat where I'd have to fly, mainly because of its weight vs. a mesh bag like from Stahlsac, especially when limited to 20kg/44 lbs of checked bags with some int'l flights or local carriers. With all of my gear for diving plus clothing and other necessities, I generally don't have the weight for a mesh bag accounting for slightly damp and heavier gear on the way home unless I want to pay excess bag weight fees. I generally find carrying my stuff to the dive boat and back to the room is pretty painless and on liveaboards, you don't need the mesh bag at all.

I highly recommend the Stahlsac backpack options - it is less expensive, more packable, lighter weight, and will leave you with more options on when and where you can use it. If you have extra money to spend, get both, you'll probably find a use for both.

BTW The OP stated in post #7 that he was looking for a bag for day trips, not dive travel as in take vacation and fly somewhere.
I'm not criticizing anyone, just though I would mention it since this clarification was 2 pages back. and missed by some folks.

Post #7: "I'm looking for something to get the gear to the day boat and back".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom