When did you get bitten by the bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beester

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I started diving in february and have now logged 30 dives. Last thursday morning I was sitting in my car waiting for some divebuddies to show up. Nothing very special only it was 2 AM and raining cats and dogs. We met so early because high tide was at 4:30 AM and we needed to dive 'on' the tide because the current is very strong there off tide.

While driving to the diving site (130 miles one way) in a real downpour at night with only 2 hours of sleep to do a dive to see cuttlefish mating I looked at my very experienced buddy and told him that I suddenly realised how crazy we are doing this... and he laughed and said... Beester... the bug has bitten you good... and yes we are real loonies :D !

So my question is... when did you realise that this hobby realy is more then just a hobby... but a real addiction?

Cheers!

Started in early 62 and in mid 64 diving took a dramatic change. I still can't get to sleep the night before some of the dives. :wink:

Gary D.

Been diving 25 years now and I am only 37. Got the bug the first time I tried snorkeling as a kid. Once I saw what was under the sea I wanted to be there as much as possible!

Probably around 1966 at the age of ten. It became terminal in 2004.

Pete

I became certified in 2005 and not too long after that I went to Cozumel. I believe that my first dive is what did it for me. The water was so clear and as I started to descend, I realized I have finally found my reason for existing. I had always liked being under water and when I was getting certified in an Arkansas lake I thought this is cool but I didn't get it then. After Cozumel, I had been kicking myself for not listening to my brother for all those years to get certified.

I started diving in a rancid quarry in southern Ohio last year. I was a little dissappointed because of the visibility and cold temp demanding a rented 7mm wetsuit and hood, gloves, booties, etc. But when I made my first ocean reef dives in southern FLortida this winter, that was it. I've spent thousands of dollars this year getting to warm places with reefs.

asxinu:
I became certified in 2005 and not too long after that I went to Cozumel. I believe that my first dive is what did it for me. The water was so clear and as I started to descend, I realized I have finally found my reason for existing. I had always liked being under water and when I was getting certified in an Arkansas lake I thought this is cool but I didn't get it then. After Cozumel, I had been kicking myself for not listening to my brother for all those years to get certified.

Where in Tulsa are you located? We live in Owasso and my wife got certified in Beaver lake in Arkansas last year.

I got the bug as a child watching my parents dive of Catalina. I knew then I would become a diver.

Read Jacques Cousteau's "The Silent World" about 3 times between ages 11 and 14. Talks about the development with sidekick Phillipe Dumas of the original AquaLung. It was years before I finally got the chance to take the plunge, so to speak, but that book stuck with me. It's a great book about Scuba history if you can find it kicking around.

When I planned my upcoming road trip around buying new gear and not stopping in Vegas to see my friends so that my best friend and I could dive the Blue Hole in NM!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom