When did you get bitten by the bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right about then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Vias:
The sad part is everywhere I look now, it is a potential dive site....."Oh look, a rain puddle, I wonder how I can dive it."

:rofl3:

Guess that means I've been bit as well. I can't think of anything else that could get me up at 4am with a big smile on my face...

I started diving in february and have now logged 30 dives. Last thursday morning I was sitting in my car waiting for some divebuddies to show up. Nothing very special only it was 2 AM and raining cats and dogs. We met so early because high tide was at 4:30 AM and we needed to dive 'on' the tide because the current is very strong there off tide.

While driving to the diving site (130 miles one way) in a real downpour at night with only 2 hours of sleep to do a dive to see cuttlefish mating I looked at my very experienced buddy and told him that I suddenly realised how crazy we are doing this... and he laughed and said... Beester... the bug has bitten you good... and yes we are real loonies :D !

So my question is... when did you realise that this hobby realy is more then just a hobby... but a real addiction?

Cheers!

Zo herkenbaar ...:)

When I wake up in the middle of the night, drive 2 hours,walk half a mile to dive in cold water , vissibilty is 2 feet ...
the bug has bitten me .....?:no:

... (old thread)

Started snorkeling at 16 in a quarry in N.Y and wanted to scuba so bad I would buy "little" stuff like a nylon weight belt( no lead ) neoprene gloves and never did it because of money

Got certified in Jan. 2003. It was sprinkling snow and about 38 degrees. I never got REALLY bit until this year when I got to dive in Belize and Roatan. Haven't stopped buying and reading and taking courses since:D

... (old thread)

Yeah,don't you just love them new members,they find stuff we had lost.:D :mooner:

Did lots of snorkling in the Fla Keys as a kid (lived in miami) but my real love is rock climbing (96-present).

Starting diving in Bali in 06, it was kinda fun but nothing compared to living on a 2,000 ft cliff. 1st time down to 65 feet I had a pretty good feeling & though the deep might have something exciting to offer.

Summer of '08 stumbled into Sipadan in Malaysia Borneo on a backpacker trip. 100ft + vis, breathtaking scenery, 9ft sharks, countless turtles, intoxicating blue - I was hooked. Huge mantas in Bali and crazy critters in Lembeh Straights sealed the deal. 34 dives durring the next 4 weeks - I am still hooked & the obsession does rival rock climbing!

I think I got the first bite in my discover scuba on Maui in '97 or '98. As soon as learned that all I had to do was clear my ears, I was ready to go. Then our instructor showed us a few fish on a reef and I was a goner.

I knew that this bite was serious when my husband and I spent 45 minutes trying to dive Mexico Beach (FL). I say trying because we spent 45 minutes crawling around in water that might have been 4 feet deep and all we saw was sand. But I logged it...

It hasn't gotten any better. A few weeks ago, we dove 4 tanks on French's Reef (Key Largo, FL) not long after Fay (after waiting out the whole week of bad weather). The vis was the worst I have ever had in the Keys, but I am still editing the pics, have filed my REEF reports and told all my friends about all the cool stuff I saw.

And all I can think is that it is a loooooooong time until March :shakehead:(when I can go again).

Well, I got up ungodly early for my first OW dives, but I wasn't hooked then.

I got up at 5:00 to do my 10th OW dive in Molokini crater, and that was closer.

I got to the dive site at 9 am in 42 degree drizzle to do Fundies. There wasn't much hope left at that point.

That winter, I dove when it was 21 degrees out. Prognosis was pretty poor.

But I was lost, I'll tell you -- completely lost, beyond hope, obsessed beyond reason, the day I did my first cenote tours. It's all Danny Riordan's fault . . .

I got my first snorkel/mask in 1971, at 10yrs old. Wanted to be Jacques Costeau as a kid. Favorite show, no prizes for guessing, Seahunt! Getting my OWD this February was definitely on my bucket list. After my first reef dive in Cuba, my girlfriend asked me if I liked the diving and I couldn't reply right away, as I was pretty choked up about realising a life-long dream. Got a few ear infections as a kid, from having my head in the water most of the summers. I used to float on an air mattress, fins off the back, mask submerged at the front for hours. Just couldn't stop looking at fish, clams, anything, everything in the water. I still have that boyish sense of being mesmerized by the underwater world and its creatures.

Finding Scubaboard was like discovering a treasure chest. I'm an addict, for sure, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom