When did you get the scuba "bug"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'Sea Hunt' was good, but 'Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea' had more impact on me. That and the 'Tome Swift' series. But it really bit when a local dive shop advertised a three week trip to the GBR at the same time an OW course was offered at my workplace. It all just came together.

Like many of you, I grew up watching Sea Hunt, Flipper and The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. I knew from the first time I ever saw these shows that scuba diving was what I wanted to do someday. For some reason or another, though, I kept putting it off and putting it off, even with dive shops in close proximity of my home.

After my mom passed away, however, I decided it was time. I had just done a short feature story on a local scuba instructor that offered private lessons and I was nearly persuaded, until I saw how expensive private instruction was. Then, I covered our state swim meet for our paper and one of the local swimming coaches told me she taught scuba and invited me to a Discover Scuba day they were having at their local pool. I jumped at the opportunity, and when I took my first breath from the regulator...you could not have wiped the smile off my face with a beach towel! My only regret is that I didn't get certified when I was in college (or even before that). :diver:

I watched many divers gearing up and heading out while I grew up on the west coast of Ireland in the 70s and 80s, always wanted to do it.

Took a class in college about 12 or 13 years ago, never had the money for a check-out.

Almost took the class in Houston about 8 years ago, never found the time.

My wife and I planned on taking a class before our honeymoon, never happened.

We planned on taking a class 6 years ago, she got pregnent and we postponed it.

Finally, I had enough, signed up a couple of years ago and got certified.

Now I have a 4 year old who wants to know when she gets to go diving. Every so often she asks for a mask and snorkel in the bathtub.

Me. I've been bit twice. Growing up in the Southern Philippines, me and my brothers were all exposed to the ocean. We all knew we would take up diving. Finally, in 1993 an instructor moved to our city. My dad, me and my 2 brothers all took the class. My dad never dove, being a bit older (61) and out of shape. He wanted to take the course though so he knew what was happening.

Stopped diving for a couple years. Went to Germany for school, got married, had a kid. Got bit again last September. And I mean really bit hard. I have 38 dives so far this year. That's pretty good for someone who has a full time job.

Got hooked on my first snorkel in Palos Verde, CA in 1971.

Got hooked again Monday poking around Day Island Wall looking at wolf eels. Shane kept asking me if I really drove all this way just to dive.
Yup.

I just wish it would quit biting me. Everytime it takes another nip, I end up spending more money. Some of the newer generation rebreathers are starting to look pretty slick...

Although i got into it early in age than some, i cant help feeling that i wish i had learnt when i had all those other divers around when i was in my teens. I almost feel that part of my time has been wasted by not having learnt sooner!

I never even thought twice about diving, since I grew up next to the Mississippi River in Illinois--not much to see underwater there! My first real vacation was to Islamorada in the Keys and we went out snorkeling a few times. That's when I saw those divers underneath me and knew I had to do that! I got certified as soon as I saved up enough pesos, which believe me, wasn't easy in those days!

When?

When I was snorkeling in Kona and doing my best to dive to 15-20 ft to get closer ... up (breath, breath), down .... up (breath, breath), down ....

While resting at the surface and looking at the reef from a distance I saw bubbles coming up underneath me, looked and saw two divers casually following the bottom back toward shore. Argggggh!

That's where I wanted to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom