When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just want to know after how many dives did everyone go DIR?

Hard to say. I came into kicking and screaming the whole way... one day I just realized I was well on the path :wink:

Took fundies at 68 dives. SB lit the fuse... it just made sense.

Changed everything for me.

---
Ken

Jorbar1551:

i had about a 3 month break after my PADI BOW class with no diving. post-BOW dive #1 was kitted out completely DIR with all my own equipment minus the rental tank. took fundies around dive #25.

SB and TDS were what introduced me to it, got JJs book and it generally made sense. i had to fight conceptually with the long hose for about a month before I really bought it. once I decided it all made sense I showed up at fifthd with a credit card and made mark happy...

Jorbar1551:

I'm curious. Why do you want to know this?

R..
P.S. I never consciously "went" DIR and I'm not sure I'll ever really "be" DIR. Some things I adopted immediately. Some of it needed more time for me to understand how to apply it. Some of it is still a mystery. For me, it's evolutionary, not revolutionary. In any event, I don't change anything anymore without looking to DIR for direction. Although there is a big potential for a paradigm trap I feel it's the best set of practices we have right now. How many dives? no idea.

R..

A thinking perosn "goes DIR" from their first immersion.

Depends on what you mean by "going DIR". It means different things to different people. If you are still accepting of the dogma of the revolution (thank you, Diver0001!), you see it beginning at one moment. If you have evolved past that simple chanting of verses, you see it another way.

DIR is brilliant, but it is an evolutionary step in the process. This is how it was developed, this is what it is all about. Adaptation and change to need and with technology. Nothing is in stone. But- before you can go beyond, you must plant both feet firmly and understand why you are where you are.

Read it, study it, practice it, evolve from it by using it.

yea, I need you to define the criteria please. Is it being "dirfed" ? haha I just learned that term. I am still in purgatory. I want to know is DIR:

A Mindset?

A Gear Config?

A Pass on the entry-level course?

A Desire and a Provisional?

I guess the question should have been: How much experience have you had, before you started going DIR/Tech?

In the book, it says that "a significant number of individuals who are successful in technical diver training are dive masters, instructors, or individuals with comparable leadership-level training."

I only have 50+ dives, so i have nowhere near the experience i want, but I'm getting there. I need to take the rescue class, and get more experience in the water before I start taking intro to tech courses. I just wanted to know when people started their transformation from strictly recreational environments, to more challenging environments like deeper dives and overhead environments.

Mo2vation:
Took fundies at 68 dives. SB lit the fuse... it just made sense.

Changed everything for me.

---
Ken

I thought you had to have 100 beyond OW to do Fundies? Is that a new prereq?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom