When did you learn Buddy Breathing

At what level did you learn Buddy Breathing?

• Open Water

Votes: 144 73.8%
  • Advanced

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Rescue

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Dive Master

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • Instructor

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • In a Technical course

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I never learned it

Votes: 18 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I practised when I did my PADI open water about 10 years ago, along with regulator recovery. It gave me a big confidence boost once I'd completed it.

PADI OW 2006.
Practiced it a bit in the pool since we had the time to do it, but IIRC its an optional skill, not a requirement.

(Actual buddy breathing from 1 reg, not air sharing with an octopus)

Open Water class in 1978. Buddy breathing was then a necessity as most rigs only had a single regulator and if it failed then you had no choice but to get very chummy with your diving buddy and go through the drill. During some classes we were even swimming in pairs around the pool...in kind of an underwater barn dance fashion...lol

With reference to the buddy breathing, did it recently as part of my 20 skills to demo level as part of my ongoing DMC (TDm!) course. would it be fair to say that it is a form of CESA? i.e the other without the regs, would on the ascent be expected to make the "aaaaaa" on the way up? i know i am going to get shot down for asking, and am pretty sure the ansa is yes, but anyway.....?

1978 NAUI Open Water with a NAUI Instructor whose number was 110 .... ALL training in a tannin filled lake with about 10' of vis... what's with this pool stuff and clear water :wink:

its no longer part of the PADI curriculum and not taught at any level. In fact, in Divemaster there was an exercise that had the divers buddy-breath - now "they share a single second stage"

1985, PADI OWD.

Octo's were still somewhat new, and something of a status symbol; those of us that were uncomfortable with dangling octo's were still debating where to stow them -- it was common to put them in a BC pocket. Adjacent to the CO2 cartridge... :shocked2:

Buddy breathing was still one of the skills tested on resort check-out dives for at least several years after that.

With reference to the buddy breathing [...] would it be fair to say that it is a form of CESA? i.e the other without the regs, would on the ascent be expected to make the "aaaaaa" on the way up? i know i am going to get shot down for asking, and am pretty sure the ansa is yes, but anyway.....?

Yes, the drill was two breaths, then hand the reg over while still keeping contact with it... the diver without the reg in their mouth at the moment would keep their airway open and blow bubbles on the way up.

its no longer part of the PADI curriculum and not taught at any level. In fact, in Divemaster there was an exercise that had the divers buddy-breath - now "they share a single second stage"

I guess PADI couldn't trademark "buddy breathing"...

And to get back on topic, the first time I had to do it in a class* was during the PADI Divemaster course.

* I figured it out on-the-fly shortly after my OW -- (no) thanks to someone I probably shouldn't have been diving with in the first place and who was, in retrospect, a walking red flag...

Last edited:
since it's been taken out of PADI I've never learned it.

it wouldn't phase me having to do it though... i mostly inflate my BCD using oral inflate, so removing my regulator doesn't concern me.

Back
Top Bottom