Question When do we speak of technical diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only is ice diving the definition of overhead diving, it's also:
  • Very highly likely to suffer from freeflows, so you better know how to deal with that
  • Must have redundant gas and regulators and know how to use it
  • You need special training for ice diving
  • You need special planning and topside support
  • Wearing thick suits, gloves, etc. making everything more difficult = more practice
Kind of everything about Ice Diving is the very definition of technical diving!

Not only is ice diving the definition of overhead diving, it's also:
  • Very highly likely to suffer from freeflows, so you better know how to deal with that
  • Must have redundant gas and regulators and know how to use it
  • You need special training for ice diving
  • You need special planning and topside support
  • Wearing thick suits, gloves, etc. making everything more difficult = more practice
Kind of everything about Ice Diving is the very definition of technical diving!
Except when done in the most popular way you are usually on a single tank, tied to a rope that is being tended at the surface, and you are never more than a couple of minutes away from the exit.

Except when done in the most popular way you are usually on a single tank, tied to a rope that is being tended at the surface, and you are never more than a couple of minutes away from the exit.
Adding a rope doesn't prevent freeflows
Adding a rope doesn't replace redundant gas (in case of the freeflow)
Adding a rope is part of the specialized training
Adding a rope is part of the top side support

So how is this an "except" situation?

Isn't it easier to look at the recreational limits?
Diving within the NDL to a maximum of 40m/130ft with direct access to the surface.

Exceeding the recreational limits without knowledge and planning: not wise, but you might win a Darwin Award.
Exceeding the recreational limits with knowledge, planning and a different mindset: technical diving.

As with every definition, you can argue about the boundaries. I've seen deeper depths mentioned in this thread, but none of these include the gas density of air beyond the recreational depth limit. And that fits in the part "without knowledge and planning".

The “most popular” way is kinda recless IMO. More of an “experience” rather than a “course”. NAUI treats it as a technical diving course which makes more sense.

Isn't it easier to look at the recreational limits?
Diving within the NDL to a maximum of 40m/130ft with direct access to the surface.
Need to stress that one: NDL is no overheads, neither hard (rock, ice) nor soft (deco)

Cavern training gives you 40m/130ft, but that's also technical diving albeit beginning tech.

For me the word "technical diving" defines it by itself.

Diving, where more equipment is needed, then what's known in the recreational diving with a single tank.

That includes:
- deco because safe deco without redundant gas is not possible
- overhead, same reason
- rebreather, for me there is no recreational rebreather. You are certified to 30m on a air rebreather? That's technical diving (entry level)
- everything that includes mix gas, because mix gas = more technical stuff (regs, tanks..)

So doing 15 min of deco after a 55m dive on a single tank is not technical diving. It's just not very smart recreational diving.

I have a question about technical diving.
When do you start talking about technical diving?
I come to the question because I am currently making the SSI Deco Diver. After completion, you are allowed to do dives with up to 15 minutes deco stops. Is this already technical diving?

Does anyone know about the course, if so, what do you think of it?
I first came across the term in 1998 in Philippines.
There is no standard of the course and I remember PADI was totally against the idea at that time.

Can you go directly to the surface?

Yes = Rec dive
No = Tec dive

For me the word "technical diving" defines it by itself.

Diving, where more equipment is needed, then what's known in the recreational diving with a single tank.

That includes:
- deco because safe deco without redundant gas is not possible
- overhead, same reason
- rebreather, for me there is no recreational rebreather. You are certified to 30m on a air rebreather? That's technical diving (entry level)
- everything that includes mix gas, because mix gas = more technical stuff (regs, tanks..)

So doing 15 min of deco after a 55m dive on a single tank is not technical diving. It's just not very smart recreational diving.
Define "mixed gas".

For me;
If there is a gas switch during the dive, that is technical.
If there is Helium mixed in, that is technical
If it is just Nitrox (the basic stuff), that is not technical anymore. That is mainstream. There are recreational charter boats that require it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom