When do YOU call a dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My second rule of diving is that you can call a dive at any time and for any reason: NO QUESTIONS ASKED! I think it's a good rule and it puts the responsibility on the diver and off of their buddy. Yet, where is the line between being cautious and simply being a wimp? Do we even need to make this distinction? Mselenaous and I have had this discussion many times before, but today made it stand out. To whit, we have some ScubaBoarders who have come down here to the Keys, hoping to dive with me. Unfortunately, I awoke to THUNDER, which is a good indication of lightening. Checking the weather reports, I see we will be having thunderstorms until about 11:00. I called the dive... at least for me. I don't like diving for pleasure in more than 3 ft seas, in inclement weather or if I am too tired or simply feel bad. Within five minutes the shop called and cancelled also, so I felt a bit vindicated. Five minutes after that, Elena tells me that they are going on another op. Rly? Heck, I guess it might clear up, but it doesn't look like it. I'm siding with the shop that called the trip on this one and will find something else to do today.

FWIW, when I go on a dive safari, I will only make about 60%-80% of the dives. I don't feel compelled to make every dive UNLESS I am learning, teaching or guiding. Work obviously makes my diving more imperative.

So, what keeps YOU out of the water? Please remember that we are in a learning zone: there is no need to mock or cajole people for timidity or not diving your way.

If Sandra and I are shooting stills/video, the criteria for us will be is the viz good enough ( and sometimes even 12 foot seas will have 100ft plus vis) and can we get back on the boat without destroying the cameras..... We can always use triptone, so big seas in themselves is not the issue. Some boats can be climed onto with cameras easily in seas up to 6 feet, others it gets dicey after 4 foot seas.

If I did not have my camera....I remember doing dives with Frank Hammett in the old days ( he was notorious for NEVER CANCELLING) in 12 foot seas...some of these days had well over 150 foot vis, with the Gulfstream way in from the East wind and unique current and eddy issues of the day....These were great dives I am very glad I had the chance to enjoy.....The choice of boat is a big part of the large wave equation--Frank had a monster platform that laid down into the water so you would watch the platform from underwater, going up and dissappearing, then coming down 3 feet below the water line....you would get the rythym, then blast in just as it was coming down, and belly onto it like Shamu the Killer Whale... Actually easier than a still water day of getting on the boat....
Ladders are tough in big seas. Today, I have not seen one of those big platforms like Frank had in over a decade!

Basically when I or anyone else feels uncomfortable or uncertain about what we have planned or doesn't feel mentally ready for the dive - that could be because of how either they or I feel physically (tiredness/fitness or whatever) or because of factors such as weather, wind or tides. If anyone doesn't feel 100% we don't dive - period - no questions asked or recriminations. Cheers - P

---------- Post Merged at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:11 PM ----------

By the way - did a night dive ten days ago, an unexpected lightning storm blew in whilst we were down - the lightning was stunning viewed from underwater - but we did want a break in the storm before we would get out. Something to do with a big lightning conductor strapped to our backs.

We all agreed we would not have dived if we knew the storm was coming. No wind or rain - just an electric storm but it was a concern - P

Rule of 3 for me. If I have 3 things go wrong before a dive I call it. These have to be dive related, I'm not to fussed about a black cat crossing my path.

Once, a tropical storm passing through the Keys ruined our entire long-weekend dive vacation in Largo. We drove on to Key West and had some fun sitting on barstools and watching the rain outside.

On a CA lobster trip several years back and a storm moved in preventing the use of A, and continued use of B, spots. There were four dive boats wound up in the most protected cove for the night and ours was the only one that ventured out the next day, granted it was charter of mostly dive proffessionals who had been doing this trip for years. I geared back up as the boat was moving into position to anchor for the third dive. They set the hook and everyone was up and waiting for the gate to open, then the anchor dragged. I sat back down and waited, the crew set the anchor and in a couple of minutes it dragged again and then I started to take off my gear. I was the one dive I sat out on that or any other lobster trip. As I started to take off my gear the DM just says "good call".

Bob
-------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

1. I'll call a dive when equipment malfunctions. A few days ago, I set up my gear, getting ready for a Puget Sound shore dive. I checked the purge on the reg primary and octo. When I checked the octo, the purge wouldn't shut off until the valve on the tank was closed. I called the dive.

2. I'll call a dive if I become ill, feel cold, etc.

3. I'll call a dive if the dive site conditions are bad, i.e. rough seas, bad vis, etc.

Ron

> 4' seas are the only reason I've ever called a dive.

I only have one hard and fast rule ... if it doesn't feel right, don't go. Otherwise, it depends on circumstances.

Last time I called a dive was a couple weeks ago. It was a beautiful day, tides were just right, and vis reports were real encouraging ... so I really wanted to dive. I got down to the dive site and my first indication was water splashing up over the seawall. That rarely happens here ... our idea of surf is when the ferry goes by. But a west wind had waves kicked up to the point where the segments of dock down at the boat ramp were bucking into each other. Looking at conditions I decided I could get in with some effort ... but getting out might be a problem. Always remember that getting in is optional ... but once in, getting out is mandatory. I decided "not today", and went home.

Thunderstorms are another rarity here ... but a couple months back I cancelled a dive with Coach Izzy because we could see lightning on the horizon and it appeared to be moving our way. I felt a bit bad ... he and Cathy had just taken a ferry across from their home to come dive with me. But we decided to go off to a favorite Thai restaurant instead. The lightning storm never reached us, but I still think it was a good call.

The other consideration is stress. Things sometimes go wrong in diving ... you fix 'em and move on. But sometimes those things can cause stress. When that happens, I consider calling the dive. Stress tends to create tunnel vision, taking your mind off the things you should be thinking about. Diving's pretty routine-oriented ... particularly when you're gearing up. Take your mind off what you're doing and you're likely to forget to do something. Sometimes that something will impact your dive all out of proportion to the benefit of going diving. I always pay attention to stressors.

And yeah, there's the whole thing about not wanting to ruin your buddy's good time. I like to tell my less experienced dive buddies (in particular) that the only way they are gonna ruin my dive is to put me in a situation where I have to affect a rescue. It tends to take the pressure off of them when it's time to consider calling or aborting the dive. Peer pressure sometimes leads people to making bad decisions that start them down into the incident pit ... so taking the pressure off makes that pit easier to avoid.

I tend to be a pretty cautious diver. Some people might think I'm a wimp, but that's OK ... I'm at that point in life when my continued good health takes a priority over something as transitory as a dive. I stay within my comfort zone, and if that bothers someone or makes them think less of me, that's a clue that perhaps we're not compatible dive buddies anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I remember doing dives with Frank Hammett in the old days ( he was notorious for NEVER CANCELLING) in 12 foot seas...

That struck a memory for me. My OW checkout dive was on the Frank's Shark Killer III. We were in lightning storms with 6'+ seas. I was puking the whole time including while diving and several divers did not complete their dives (they were too green in the face). I never realized he was such a legend then but I knew he was important to the area.

For me, I will call a dive while on my boat if there are lightning storms in the area. Something about not being in a Faraday cage that bothers me there. I will still dive on commercial boats in storms... go figure. Otherwise, I will call the dive if I am basically bed ridden. I have dove a triple dive with a very bad sinus infection. They became clogged at depth and did not clear until I was in a hot shower several days later. I was coated in blood from that... Still a great dive set though.

Back
Top Bottom