When do you put the weight belt on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFX

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive wet using a jacket-style BC with integrated weight pockets. I was at the quarry recently and was observing a class of teenagers. As they were gearing up the instructor reminded them that weight belts go on first (i.e. before the BCD's). This seems backwards to me. Back in '74 when I first got certified I was taught that the weight belt is the LAST thing to go on. The reason being if you have to ditch your weights the belt will not be caught under something and will simply fall off once it is unbuckled. Can someone explain why this is done?

I dive wet using a jacket-style BC with integrated weight pockets. I was at the quarry recently and was observing a class of teenagers. As they were gearing up the instructor reminded them that weight belts go on first (i.e. before the BCD's). This seems backwards to me. Back in '74 when I first got certified I was taught that the weight belt is the LAST thing to go on. The reason being if you have to ditch your weights the belt will not be caught under something and will simply fall off once it is unbuckled. Can someone explain why this is done?

On a typical jacket BC there is nothing there to prevent the belt from coming off. In this case its probably just easier to get the belt on and buckled without the BC in the way - especially for new students. Either way it will deploy the same.

You are correct that at least in the 70's the standard instruction (at least YMCA certs) was weight belt on last so it could be ditched. Probably was due to many yolk, horse collar bcds with crotch straps. With the new modern bcds I always put my weight belt on first because it is easier. I always make sure there is nothing impeding a ditch if ever necessary.

Me??....before my BC-----much easier than once you've put it(BC --& tank) on......

I put my weightbelt on first, but don't use a crotch strap. We had to put belts on after the doubles in Navy Scuba School before BCs were used because they made us hitch up the tank harness crotch strap — if we needed it or not. Belt first is easier and safer on a rolling boat as long as it falls off when released.

But even that is no guarantee. :wink:

Aquasub Weight Belt - Blooper - YouTube

That's funny....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a YMCA instructor back in the 70s and we learned weight belt on last and I was supposed to teach that. I always found it difficult to put the weight belt on after donning the tank, so I put it on after the BC (horsecollar in those days), but before the tank. And I taught it that way as well. When jacket BCs entered the picture, crotch straps kind of went away, so there was little problem with putting on the weight belt first - again, just insure it is clear (BTW, tank/BC left hand release; weight belt, right hand release). Now I've switched to a BP/W and a crotch strap:confused:. I still find it easier to put the weight belt on first, but know that I'll have an issue releasing weights. At this point, I live with it as the crotch strap is easier to release than it was "back in the day." One big difference between then and now is the amount of weight I carry. It is not very often I dive much more than a 5mm suit and typically dive a steel tank. At most, 8 lbs on the belt - really not much of an issue.

What FM1520 said. Easier to get wright belt on before BC/tank. Especially if you have lead in the back.

When I dive with a BP/W and crotch strap, I rarely find myself in the position of having to wear a weight belt as well, but when I do, I put the weight belt on first, and I do it because I want the crotch strap to interfere with the falling belt.

What?

I figure that it will take a really serious emergency to make me drop my weights, and that will be an extremely rare event. If it does happen, the extra couple of seconds required for me to free the weight belt from the crotch strap is not going to make a whole lot of difference. In short, it is extremely unlikely that I will need to do it, and the consequences of having it under the crotch strap aren't all that great.

On the other hand, it is very possible that the weight belt buckle can come open accidentally, especially if I am trying to work my way through close quarters. I had a weight belt buckle come open on a dive, fortunately at the very start of the dive, when I was a beginning diver, and those weights were never recovered. When I teach students the giant stride entry in the pool and one of them forgets to put the left hand on the buckle, the odds are that belt is coming off and dropping to the bottom of the pool. If my weight belt comes open accidentally, I like the idea that the crotch strap will keep it from falling off and sending me on an unplanned trip to the surface. In short, it is more likely that the weight belt will come open accidentally, and the consequences of losing those weights can be serious.

Thus, I play the odds and put it on first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom