When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be lucky if the disruptions end in less than six months. The MLB season will probably be cancelled. Schools are done for the semester as far as in person classes are concerned. Welcome to our new normal.

I decided to cancel my trip at end of June/early July. Still hoping for Oct. Rebooked something for Christmas and fairly certain that should be ok but who knows. But I need something to look forward to with all the grim news day in and day out.

Interesting You view it like it is in my mind. How about Taiwan Republic of China?
I see your answer above. I thought I had stuck my foot in my mouth when I said "Chinese" speaking only of Communist China.

Although Chinese is the language of education for many here it is a second language for many as Taiwanese or other languages are used by many people.

The estimates given by @michael-fisch are scaring, but unfortunately they have some good sense.
However the point here is not how many lives will be lost (millions, definitely, although there is a big difference between 2 millions and 200 millions).
The point is how much time will be required before we come back to "normality".
I think that the world we did know in the past will be never come back, a number of modifications in how we interact each other will happen. These modifications can appear huge to people as we Italians, who are used to "mix" together very strictly, in every sense.
In other cultures, where people are already used to talk each other staying at 3 meters distance, and never touch, probably this will not be a significant change.
But regarding being allowed again to make international travels on aircraft, reaching holidays destination, where to practice our favourite sport, of course this will be restored, earlier or later. Entire countries, such as Maldives, survive only thanks to international tourism.
There will be a point when, despite the virus, one country will need to lift the blockage, for avoiding that everything goes bankrupt. And I am really thinking that the economical crisis caused by the virus can make more deaths than those killed directly by the virus.
And this is not just a problem for those exotic countries based solely on tourism. Even in the US there will be the problem that people loosing their work also lose their medical insurance, hence they will die for other pathologies, in the impossibility to treat them properly.
So the point is not when the virus will be gone (perhaps in 3 years, perhaps never). The point is when this breakpoint will be reached, so, despite the virus still running around uncontrolled, it will be necessary to accept the death tool necessarily required by the need of restarting at least partially also "not critical" business.
I suppose that this breakpoint will occur at different times in different countries.
I fear that, when this occurs, then the sad estimates given by michael fisch could come true...

We will be lucky if the disruptions end in less than six months. The MLB season will probably be cancelled. Schools are done for the semester as far as in person classes are concerned. Welcome to our new normal.

its affecting all sports from NBA to Major League Soccer to Nascar and many other sports. I work in sports media broadcasting so although I am not unemployed I almost no work to do. Japan and Taiwan still have some sports being played but other countries are shut down.

We have a Turk-Palau trip for end of November-December. Not that confident that it will happen. Interesting conversation with my Dr. this morning...saw him on another matter. He pointed out that we were unable to create a strong vaccine for SARS or MERS and doubts we will for Covid19 because coronavirus is much different from the flu in its makeup and mutation ability. His best hope is that we work like mad to create medications that can ease the patient from a likely mortality to just being quite sick. His belief is that if the world (and our country) figures out how to ventilate seriously sick people in vast numbers, we will adjust and learn to live with this virus and its return engagements by cutting down mortality rates to a level that is awful but not horrendous. He was quite sad that our leadership spend all of February and even the first week of March pretending this was not any different that the seasonal flu. If we had ramped up ventilator production and research on treatment in February, we'd be in much better shape. I know, hindsight is 20/20, but other friends who are doctors have been saying the same thing since mid-February.
Back to the question, "When will we return to "normalcy"? We might have to redefine that and move forward with all aspects of life after this initial surge by being in a position to not have people who are very sick die because we don't have enough medical supplies. There will be a mortality rate that we wish didn't exist but we will have saved those that could recover with treatment.
Stay safe and sane to all of you in our wonderful dive community.
Rob

I think we are in for a long haul back to normal. Now that testing is being done there will be a spike in cases (as we are seeing now). My biggest worry is of a "second wave". Once things start opening up and getting back to normal....those that are carriers (without symptoms) of this thing will infect others and we will be doing this all over again. Unfortunately, I have a bleak outlook that 8 billion people can all get on the same page and do what is necessary by following the so-called rules.

I know here in Rhode Island thing are getting more serious. With Trump extending the stay at home until the end of April, I do not see this ending soon. That being said -- there are only so many conversations I can have with my dog, I need human contact

Back
Top Bottom