When do you use a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSloan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading another post that got me thinking about the use of a pony. I dive mostly wrecks off the NC coast with a max depth of 120-130. I dive a single ST120. I have heard alot of people say below 100 they will use a pony. When do you use it? I know doubling up might be preferable, but I am not looking to take that avenue just yet. Do you feel comfortable/safe diving to 120/130 in a recreational (no deco) setting without a pony assuming you are respecting rock bottom?

I use it for ocean dives over 80 ft. as a "back up buddy". And most dives in the local quarries as a contingency in case of free flows. The water is pretty cold, and having that as a back up is a little more comforting.

Same here. Over 80 feet. Maybe 60-80 feet if unsure of a buddy. I've used it solo once to 50 feet, but generally don't use it solo diving and generally don't go below 30 feet, so a CESA is easy.

I use mine on "most dives" between 10m/33ft and 30m/100ft. You just get used to it being there and it kinda feels odd to not have it.

Deeper than 30m, I tend to dive doubles - not that I think there's anything wrong with the pony, it's just that I tend to be doing deco on these dives, so the doubles are more of an appropriate solution.

If it's no stop diving, then I would happily dive a "good sized" pony on a 40m dive. By good sized, I mean it's got enough gas to ascend from the deepest part of the dive to the surface. It depends on who I'm diving with as to whether I'd feel "safe" without it - but realistically, if I'm not feeling ok about my buddy then I'm not doing a dive to those depths, period.

I use it when ever I'm diving local and not in doubles because
1) many local sites (for me) have temps below 50F so free flow is possible
2) I try to include practice of skills on each dive. My "pony" is a 40cf stage bottle, so I try to practice stage bottle management on most dives.
3) I'm too lazy to rearrange my regs between doubles and singles dives.

I always use mine. I started using it when lobstering (funny how fast your air runs down!), but just started using it all the time. I have an integrated Octo, so I put the pony reg on my necklace. The small additional effort is worth it under any conditions.

Whenever a horse is just too big... :D

I use a pony on every dive, shallow or deep, solo or buddied up. The one time I needed my pony was the one time I was too lazy to strap it to my main tank. I learned my lesson.

Curious, what do people use, I have been looking at 40 and 45 cu ft ponies, trying to figure out weighting etc. Luxfer v catalina.

Luxfer alllllllllll the way! Catalina's are really tail heavy, the sit like a pregnant sow when carried as a slung tank.

I use a Luxfer 30 as pony (and have 40s for deco tanks), and both are less noticeable than a Catalina 19. I've used a Catalina 30 and didn't like it at all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom