When do you use a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not yellow? I've got a 13cu that was given to me by a friend that no longer dives and it's bright yellow. It was free, so I'm not going to say no thanks. Just curious as to the reasoning behind this statement.
Made it just over a year and the paint had bubble, peeled etc (yes properly washed after every dive). Catalina replaced it, but with a non-painted one.....tells me they know there is an issue....told me "with your type of diving a non-painted one is better for you". Ocean diving...nothing really different. I have two 80CF Luxfers that are 4 years old with perfect paint.

Yellow tanks are easier to find if you drop one.

Yellow tanks are easier to find if you drop one.

Don't you just listen for the hissing sound like everyone else? :shocked2:

I would be diving respecting rock bottom (planned using only back gas) but what I mean is, are there any considerations with respect to the NDL when switching gas types in this situation. For example you have x minutes of NDL left on EAN36 but you switch to air. My gut is that with an immediate, controlled ascent, you have nothing to worry about with regard to the gas switch, but wasn't sure if I was missing something in terms of contingency planning. To reiterate, I would be using this only in an emergency.

You are confusing terms.

Which isn't surprising if you haven't pursued training yet.

A diver may sling a bottle (cylinder, tank, etc.) for different reasons, and the gas inside the bottle is planned for use differently for each separate reason. Defining terms helps prevent confusion.

While all the bottles are sling tanks, they can be --

* Bail out bottles - generally associated with rebreathers where failure may compromise the system. Bail out gas theoretically allows the diver to ascend safely. Solo divers also use these.

* Deco bottles have various gas mixes in them that the diver switches to at different points during the ascent, to ensure off-gassing occurs with maximum efficiency.

* Stage bottles are used at various points in a dive to extend the divers range (distance or time) for reasons that are specific to different types of diving. Stage bottles may either be slung on the diver or, for some diving (i.e. cave diving) may actually be "staged" on a line at various locations for future use.

While all the above are 'sling bottles', they serve different purposes and the gas inside them is planned for use in a variety of ways, depending on the dive.

One of the major flaws that some divers see with the use of pony bottles is that they are often used INSTEAD of gas planning, rather than AS A RESULT OF gas planning. Pony users occasionally adopt the attitude of "I don't need to do gas planning because I have a pony bottle - I'll just dive until I run out of gas and use my pony to ascend", or "who needs to plan their gas consumption? I've got my pony bottle - if I run low I'll just use it to ascend". Like everything else in life, its how you define terms that determines whether something is a helpful tool or an excuse.

And to address your key question above, the gas inside a 'pony bottle' is NOT planned for consumption during the dive. Assuming you're carrying the bottle to mitigate risk of some catastrophic failure at depth, it is a 'bail-out' bottle and contains the amount of gas you've calculated would be necessary to get you/and buddy to the surface from whatever depth and circumstances the dive entails. The bail-out gas is part of your gas plan, but as your contingency gas, not gas planned for use assuming all goes well.

Remember, though, that different divers define terms differently! :wink: Its always best to dive with a buddy, and to ensure you and your buddy create gas plans for your dives. Gas planning isn't difficult, and gas management can be critical to survival.

Dive safe,

Doc

If you're performing an emergent controlled ascent due to equipment failure, no, going from a Nitrox mix to air is not a real issue. You're not going to stay at depth, so you wouldn't expect a material change in your NDL.

One of the major flaws that some divers see with the use of pony bottles is that they are often used INSTEAD of gas planning, rather than AS A RESULT OF gas planning.

Totally. My view is that a pony is a contingency aspect of a dive plan.

Made it just over a year and the paint had bubble, peeled etc (yes properly washed after every dive). Catalina replaced it, but with a non-painted one.....tells me they know there is an issue....

Pretty much every painted Catalina I've seen has had this problem - one scratch or ding in the paint, then the water gets under the paint and causes the bubbling.

My old Catalina did this, some paint stripper did the trick.

I use an aluminum 40. When I bought it I was going to get a 30, but the instructor told me that if I wanted to take advanced Nitrox, or any tech courses later on, I'd need a 40. It was only something like $10.00 more so it wasn't an issue. I don't know it's there half the time!

I use my pony (19, 30 or 40 cu ft) if:

- diving over 80ft
- diving with a buddy that i don't know well
- diving with any of several paranoid buddies
- diving under kelp, or any other obstruction

this takes care of almost all of my dives except training/checkout/refresh
dives in the pool or a well used beach

the only time i use a pony is to cut my boat anchor free from kelp. and then it is my primary tank...

on wreck penetrations I use double 72's filled to 2700, and all open water dives I just use a single 72, 80,95... If I am In open water I do not see the need for redundancy at most the surface is only 140fsw away. Anyway regs don't just stop working, they free flow. And If I run out of air, well I am being stupid, and according to basic physics as I ascend I will get another breath or two out of my tank.

I use a pony if diving deep (over 100'), or if I am diving solo.

I have also used it because I wanted to be on a 100, but could not get that tank size (deep flat profile). Backup gas is never a bad idea.

GiddyUp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom