When does a project end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all these "rules" are silly. I hate boat diving now, because it's all tuned to the lowest common denominator with this rule or that rule.

So, I can tie off anywhere along the line and go explore, but if I tie off at the end I'm breaking some unspoken rule????

You're ahead of the curve, most people wait until they at least have experience to be pushing cave before complaining about access.
Hey, new guy checking in

Years diving: ~30
Months Tech: 6
Number of Dives: ~500
Number of Tech Dives: 20( You get the picture. I started diving with Cave Divers 6 months ago)
Number of Cave Dives: 7(abe davis here I come)
CavesTraining in Cozumel, recently seen in Marianna
Instructor: NO!
Trimix: soon
Breather: eventually
Scooter: not yet, blew a wad in the last 6 months on Tech gear

With no scooter, only enough cave dives to count on your fingers, and limited tech diving experience, why are you so upset? You're not going to be pushing EOL at a project site anytime soon. You would however, fall into the category of someone who would benefit greatly from assisting push divers with setup dives, because you'll be learning how it's all done. Then, once you get some experience, I bet the team gradually increases you're role, as well as members inviting you to sites or dives which are increasingly more difficult as time goes on.

Facepalm%25252Bjesus-facepalm-facepalm.jpg

You're ahead of the curve, most people wait until they at least have experience to be pushing cave before complaining about access.

With no scooter, only enough cave dives to count on your fingers, and limited tech diving experience, why are you so upset? You're not going to be pushing EOL at a project site anytime soon. You would however, fall into the category of someone who would benefit greatly from assisting push divers with setup dives, because you'll be learning how it's all done. Then, once you get some experience, I bet the team gradually increases you're role, as well as members inviting you to sites or dives which are increasingly more difficult as time goes on.

I said in the post earlier that I was not pushing that particular project, but it was a "team" project I would like to observe. Check it out.

Anyway, the stats look funny don't they. :wink:

Yes, I've seen the end of mainline in a cave. Yes, I still think my question is valid if I'm there again. I asked a legitimate question so, as not to offend or break any of these "rules". Or should I just do whatever and plead ignorance afterwards?

YouTube - ‪There are fish in Lake Travis ..........even though good visibility is over rated‬‏

I said in the post earlier that I was not pushing that particular project, but it was a "team" project I would like to observe. Check it out.

Anyway, the stats look funny don't they. :wink:

Yes, I've seen the end of mainline in a cave. Yes, I still think my question is valid if I'm there again. I asked a legitimate question so, as not to offend or break any of these "rules". Or should I just do whatever and plead ignorance afterwards?

YouTube - ‪There are fish in Lake Travis ..........even though good visibility is over rated‬‏

Have you asked to observe a team project and been denied? Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying.

Have you asked to observe a team project and been denied? Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, I have seen team dives. Yes, I have participated. Yes, I have been in plenty of overhead. Wrecks and caves are very similar and it seems both have these "rules".

20 cave dives is a bit early to start exploring in a sport where tourists with more dives and experience die.

Lots of caves where I don't have access. I want to explore and map. Solution? I got experience and eventually was asked to join a team.

Get good at cave diving, build a reputation for being a great diver, and access and exploration will happen. I got in on some fun exploration dives last summer because I worked with friends to map the jump tunnel at Jug Hole and someone else saw the map and emailed me. It was a lot easier than whining about it, though I still complain sometimes about the caves I still don't have access to, to close friends.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Don't rush into exploration.

I disagree, alot, for several reasons. IMO, this just shows your inexperience in the cave environment.

Yes, they are different. You have way better visibility and more room in a cave, especially, Marianna. Lines are already run for you in most caves. You can drop stage and deco bottles on the way in. You don't have to contend with current while hanging on a mooring trying to Deco. Rocks are sharp, but glass and twisted metal shreds everything, including the line you were using to find the way out. You have easy access to caves. There's no need to get on or off a large pitching boat. Oh, and sea sickness is great. Did I mention salt water corrodes even expensive equipment? Flying out on flow is lot's of fun like a fighter pilot. Swimming the whole time in a wreck is oh so much fun. Then there's these cute little fish called Lion fish, etc...

Yes, they are different. You have way better visibility and more room in a cave, especially, Marianna. Lines are already run for you in most caves. You can drop stage and deco bottles on the way in. You don't have to contend with current while hanging on a mooring trying to Deco. Rocks are sharp, but glass and twisted metal shreds everything, including the line you were using to find the way out. You have easy access to caves. There's no need to get on or off a large pitching boat. Oh, and sea sickness is great. Did I mention salt water corrodes even expensive equipment? Flying out on flow is lot's of fun like a fighter pilot. Swimming the whole time in a wreck is oh so much fun. Then there's these cute little fish called Lion fish, etc...

LOL!!!

ANY one of your above points, just makes you look like an inexperienced hack. Really, honestly, truly, not even one of your points even comes close to showing that you know dick about cave diving.

Especially Marianna?? Really? You can't just a place based on your limited experience in the front of Jackson Blue, Twin, and Hole in the Wall. There are dozens more caves in the Marianna area and miles more passage in the back of those 3 systems, and most of the caves/passages are not roomy with way better visibility and there's even passage without line run in it. Yes, even in those 3 caves.

While the logistics of getting to a wreck site may be more involved, planning an exploration cave dive is even more involved than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom