When is it best to dive in Thailand? which month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The.Cancerian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All..
For experts and for those who know Thailand, when is it best to go and dive there?

This has been asked an answered many times.

Briefly, the "best" diving is on the West Coast (Andaman Sea) from November through April and in the southern Gulf of Thailand the rest of the year.

The dive seasons are based on the prevailing winds. The Southwest Monsoon, generally from about April through October, adversely affects diving conditions in the Andaman Sea. The Northeast trade winds, which bring dry weather to most of Thailand, blow from about November through April. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions and observations.

The dates are approximate because wind direction depends, mostly, on the location of the Intertropical Convergence Zone, which follows the sun's zenith but which also is affected by other factors, including ocean and land temperature.

Keep in mind that things can change rapidly and that any particular dive site can have a bad weather day or days any time of the year.

Let us know if you have a particular location in mind.

Yes, that is the traditional approach.

Take into account that on most divesites of the Andaman Sea the prevailing winds or even rain have a very limited to no effect on the visibility. Plus on quite a few divesites we have more marine sightings on our low/green season, when there are less divers.

On top of that, IMO the Andaman Sea offers better diving than the Golf of Thailand year round, unless you're looking for special activities, like wreck diving from Pattaya.

I was desperately hoping to avoid reviving the East vs. West debate....
I don't think not giving complete information is a good idea.

But in addition to East/West, I also gave some information about diving conditions in the Andaman Sea. IF you'd like you can concentrate on that ...

Sail Rock in The Gulf has whale shark sighting almost uninterrupted for the last two weeks. Chumpon Pinnacle near koh Tao also had a few whale shark sightings recently. Viz is stunning around the Gulf at the moment, 30+ meters and it's like you're in fish soup there at the moment. Massive schools of Trevally, barracuda and fusiliers plus nice schools of Bat Fish are hanging out at Sail Rock currently.

To varying degrees, these conditions will prevail more or less till roughly Sept/Oct. Enjoy!

In reply to the OP, the point is that there is good diving in Thailand year round. The greatest variety and number of outstanding dive sites are found in the Andaman side, but that does not mean that it's a waste of time to go to the Gulf, particularly in the summer when sea conditions in the Andaman require the annual closure of the Similans and Surins national parks. If you are looking for a live aboard, you should plan for the winter months when there are tons of trips on offer, but if your free time means you can come only in summer, there are still some lives aboards going to the southern Andaman islands, and at least one of international standard in the Gulf. And of course there is local diving year round both on the Andaman side and on the Gulf side. we can show you a good time whenever you choose to come.

Take into account that on most divesites of the Andaman Sea the prevailing winds or even rain have a very limited to no effect on the visibility. Plus on quite a few divesites we have more marine sightings on our low/green season, when there are less divers.

Rain and wind having limited or no effect on visibility may be true, but...........................

It can affect boating to and from sights. Last year in July I was in Koh Lanta for about two weeks. it was the low season so many dive centers were closed for the season. There was one dive boat operation that was running a boat daily, and all the other shops would also use it to take their customers out too. I was told that since the prevailing winds are out of the west this time of year, that the smaller boats have more troubles getting out to places such as Koh Haa and Phi Phi this time of year.

The boat I ended up on had to be moved to the east side of the island at old town because of the winds. This also caused a longer running time (2 hours each direction) since the boat had to travel south and around the bottom of the island first before heading to the dive spots. Even still, because of some high wind and seas, they did not go out every day. My two trips to Koh Haa was nice and the visibility was great, the weather still can play a big part as far as actually getting to the spots.

Yes, from Phuket, Krabi and Phi Phi the divesites are better accessible than from Koh Lanta or Koh Lipe if the wind is (a bit) stronger.

Back
Top Bottom