When is it not worth it anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's easy mode. I usually do too but they're deep air and I'm not allowed to admit that in public since about 1990. I took video last year and was very surprised how much different it looked on the video than it did when I was down there. :)

R..

I'll be on the Tala ... so there will be plenty of helium available should I decide to go below recreational depths. And I won't be shy about using it.

A man's got to know his limitations ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

You hooked me when you said scooters LOL :)

... God, that's one toy I wish I had. I just can't see myself trying to explain to Silvija why it's necessary. You're lucky that Peter is a diver.

R..

I've had a scooter now for about seven years. Used to use it a lot ... now I have to remember to charge the battery about once a month, just so it doesn't deteriorate. Last year I used the scooter while I was building the reef ... it's just way easier to haul a few hundred pounds of rocks on a lift bag that way. After that I think I got in one scooter dive ... maybe last June ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For me it is all about the fun factor, and location and destination. In my local haunts I prefer 1/1 bottom and deco. In sunny locales with blue water and 100 foot vis to keep you warm and amused on your stops I do not mind 2/1, or 2 1/2 to 1. Once you get to 3 to 1, I am out for sure. My favorite dives are 30/30 or 45/45 to maitain the fun factor. YMMV
Eric

I will carry on my baby tec dive as long as I still get the fun out of it. After all it is a recreational sport, isn't it?

There's a couple of pristine little schooners near Picton, Ontario that lie in about 170'. I only dive them every two or three years, so it's tempting to add a little extra bottom time. When I start cutting tables though, it really is obvious that there is a point of diminishing returns... Where ever minute on the bottom adds a minute, then three, then five... of deco.

Considering these wrecks are very close to shipping lanes I only have a light drop line to follow down, deco can be a bit of a pain.

Fortunately, the wrecks are quite small, so a fella can get a decent tour in 22 - 25 minutes on the wreck...

After that I think I got in one scooter dive ... maybe last June ...

We need to go do Northwest Island and Skyline again . . .

It's a effort/risk vs reward balance. 15min bottom time with 2.5 hours deco in open water is no fun, especially if you find nothing!! It is a no-brainer if the reward is something special like coelacanth or identifying a new wreck.

Triple the bottom time in deco obligation is my turn point, beyond that the potential for reward need to seriously outweigh the other factors. We are blessed to have some truly awesome deep reefs (230 ft) where the marine life is unbelievable. You can spend quality time on these reefs without taking the rest of the day to get to the surface.

We need to go do Northwest Island and Skyline again . . .

... yes, we do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't do 2. It is never worth it to me to put on a drysuit so I can survive deco.

Well, I've only got what I've got . . .

For some reason cold, dark water, big lights at noon on a sunny day, thick drysuit underwear, 30 pounds of lead and big steel tanks just isn't as much fun as it used to be. :cool:

Isn’t this one of those imponderables with too many moving parts? If the reward is “just for fun”, then I personally tend to max out at about 15 minutes of decompression. I might slide to 45 minutes for an exceptional and unusual experience, usually associated with wrecks. What’s special about the wreck, how long does it take to get to the dive site, what’s the vis, water temperature, sea state, and currents? I might even consider how much I like the boat, how long it takes to get to a chamber or hospital, and how good the food is. Then there’s the cost and likelihood of getting skunked by weather.

OK, I’m spoiled and probably jaded. After about 45 minutes of decompression I want a payday and a surface supplied diving operation. More than 3-4 hours and I want a Sat system.

You hooked me when you said scooters LOL :)

...R..

Location, Location, Location. I agree with you somewhat, all of my tech diving is in S Florida area and I got very board diving the wreck then just drifting during deco.......then I got a scooter, we do the wrecks then scooter onto the reef and deco on the reef. Does not even feel like doing deco, heck we extend "deco" if we are on a nice section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom