When is the best time of the year to dive Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board.
The weather in Curacao really does not change much all year long. I have been on Bonaire next door in Dec, March, June and August. The weather is pretty much the same all year round, the temp may change 3 or 5 deg but nothing to worry about. Late Nov to Jan is the "rainy" season but for the most part it still rains very little. June to Sept or so is low season, no real reason to go due to the weather but you can get some better deals on accomidations. Being from Fla, you might want to avoid mid Aug to Oct due to hurricanes. Hurricanes don't normally effect Curacao but they could well shut down the airports at your end.

Actually, we prefer to travel during hurricane season. We always get evacuated when a hurricane is heading our way. I'd much rather be in Bonaire (hurricane Jeanne) or diving the Great Barrier Reef (hurricane Wilma) than sitting in traffic trying to get to safety (hurricane Frances).
So the question becomes when during hurricane season (June - November) is the best diving in Curacao?

My guess is it really does not matter. The only reason I can think of to pick or avoid a specific month from June to Nov would be the coral spawn. It's usually in Sept on Bonaire so I would imagine it's around the same time on Curacao. The overall vis drops due to the spawn but the macro photography subjects increase, which make going or not going during the spawn a matter of personal opinion.

I have been to Curacao over Thanksgiving and the island was green. I mean green with growth of everything in high gear because nov/dec is the rainy season. At least that is what we were told, and yes, it rained everyday. Mostly at night, but some days also and I am talking about big rain, not jus the usual Bonaire style sprinkle, but ground soaking, pouring off the roofs kind of rain. Upside though was that the island looked like one of the US Virgin Islands unlike the usual Bonaire brown that I have seen in April, June, and August on previous trips.

There is a rainy season there...will it ruin a trip no...would I choose elsewhere for late November, YES, and I love the Netherland Antilles. They are my favorite Carribean destination.

I was there during coral spawning time once and didn't think it affected viz, but then we didn't manage to see it either (despite being out on a boat at night on supposedly the right night at what was supposed to be a promising area.)

I thought rainy season is supposed to be Oct to Feb but I think the worst is usually later in that time? Matter of luck. There can be alot of bugs that I think come out after it's been raining but it's not been a problem in 3 Oct-Nov trips. And yeah, when it rains it really dumps buckets, I've seen the same intensity in Bonaire but less common. We really got munched up one time we were in Curacao in early March. A nice thing about Curacao it doesn't matter too much when you go, from Jun-Nov I would go whenever was convienient and not worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom