When should I service regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I bought regs about 18-20 months ago and have been using them for about 60-70 dives. Last week we had diving trips and they still performed properly. The question is when I should have a service on my regs? Regs are AL Legend supreme LX and SP mk25+A700.

Thanks

Some divers see no need to service a regulator as long as it performs as it should.

Some divers believe in preventative maintenance and service their regs regularly. I'm one of those, and my regs are serviced about every second year or hundred dives or if it starts to misbehave slightly, whatever comes first.

Then the question is who should do the service (yourself, your LDS or some other shop), which is another can of worms... :)

An easy (and cheap) way to monitor the condition of your first stages is to check them with an Intermediate Pressure Gauge/with LP Inflator Hose Nipple. When it starts to creep, they probably need service. Looks like this:
dx-70145_1.jpg

Last edited:
My regs usually go 5 years or more beween service with good care. But I always carry a spare set in the event of a problem. Manufacturer recommendations on service frequency seem to be based on those divers who do not provide good user care (and a desire to support their retail shops).

I have several different answers, choose which one best fits your situation:

A) if you know nothing about regs, are not mechanically inclined and are happy about that, and abuse your equipment, then follow the manufacturers recommendations and take them into your LDS on a regular basis. Pool dive the regs after each service to ensure they are working as good as they were before they were serviced.

B) if you are slightly mechanically inclined, hate getting ripped off paying for stuff you do not need, and do not abuse your equipment, then buy an IP gauge, learn how to use it. Also learn how to do simple inspection and cleaning of the second stages to remove sand or debris. take your regs into your LDS only when they need it.

C) if you are mechanically inclined, then you can learn how your regs work and perform all of your own service. Inspect regularly, Service as needed.

A well cared for reg can go hundreds of dives with no issues. An abused reg will need service right after the first salt water dive...

My regs are approaching 30 years old and I originally had them serviced every year by a LDS due to fear mongering by the scuba industry. Then they screwed em up. Several times. By several different LDS. I also realized that the service costs were about 1/3 the cost of a new reg. So I now service my own regs whenever they need it. Since I am a vacation diver I clean and inspect them after every trip.

The short answer: when they need it.
IP creep, hissing, badly worn seats, way too many years gone by causing dried out O-rings are reasons to service.
Just because a certain date has come up or a certain number of dives has passed doesn't warrant service IMO.
Every time a reg is torn down and worked on it suffers slightly on the parts that have any torque specs. Inadvertent nicks and scratches can occur on internal parts trying to pick out O-rings, and threads lose integrity ever so slightly every time they're messed with. Then there's that fact of heavy handed technicians who have klutzy hands and too much muscle.
I used to yield to the pressures of dive shop telling me that I had to get my stuff serviced (by them only) every year or else I was taking my life in my hands.
Every time I got my stuff back it had a problem.
I finally got sick of it and learned how to service my own regs. Now with places like Ebay and online dealers who sell parts it's easy to get service kits for almost any reg out there if you look hard enough.
Plus I know the quality of my own work, and I like the fact that I know what's going on inside my own regulators, not just relying on the word of a shop.

I also go several years or even more but my regs have a 2 year/300 dive recommended service interval anyway.

Here are the mfr's warranty restrictions for your regs:

Regulators:
Limited Lifetime Warranty
This warranty will cover the original owner of the regulator against defects in parts or workmanship for the lifetime of the regulator if the regulator is:

Purchased from an Authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer
Inspected or serviced annually by an Authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer as outlined in the "Free Parts for Life" Program.

Free Parts for Life Program (Regulator Service Agreement)
The Free Parts for Life Program allows the customer to receive free parts when the regulator is due for overhaul. Free parts consist of the normal replacement items as found in the Regulator 1st & 2nd Stage Service Kits. Labor charges are not covered. Assuming the program guidelines are followed, the Free Parts for Life Program will apply to the life of the regulator and will significantly reduce the cost of ownership. This program is in addition to the standard product warranties outlined in the owner’s manual.

The Free Parts for Life Program is a commitment by you (the Regulator owner), your Aqua Lung Dealer and Aqua Lung. To participate, you must be the original owner and have purchased the regulator from an Authorized Aqua Lung or Apeks America Dealer. The regulator must be brought to an Authorized Dealer at least once a year for inspection or overhaul according to the below schedule:

Year #1: Inspection
Year #2: Overhaul
Year #3: Inspection
Year #4: Overhaul
Etc.

To keep the Free Parts for Life Program active, both inspections and overhauls need to be documented in the Annual Service & Inspection Records included in the Owner’s Manual CD or can be found online here. If an inspection or overhaul is missed, the regulator no longer qualifies for the Free Parts for Life program.
Notice you've already lost the FPFL if you had it since you missed the 1 year Inspection.

Scubapro's is a lot simpler:
The equipment must be serviced every 24 months or 100 dives (e.g. examined, serviced, and if required, repaired) by an Authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC Dealer. This maintenance must be documented (we suggest our SCUBAPRO Log/Service Book). Only original SCUBAPRO parts should be used for maintenance and repair.

These are both U.S. based programs, yours may be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom