when to change or upgrade dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
My mares regulator and seacsub bcd turned 10yrs old this year. I have them serviced every year and the service center says they are still in good working order. I go diving once or twice a month and in between dives I try my best to clean, maintain, and store them properly. I have not experienced any major problems while diving with them but now I'm starting to wonder if I should buy new equipment- just to be on the safe side. Do you think it's safe to use old equipment as long as they are well maintained? How long do these things last?

If the gear is maintained (and maintainable, no parts problems) and it works well for you, probably not much reason to switch unless you want new toys.

My reg is 15 years old and I haven't found a good reason to get a new one. Some people are diving much older ones and actually consider some of the older ones to be as good or better than some of the stuff you might buy now. BCs are more prone to wear and you might be interested in some of the features of new ones, but if you like what you have and the shop says its in good shape, then you should be ok.

Your gear will last longer than you want it to. I still use a Scubapro mk5 reg and a BCP from the 70's. I wish it would wear out so I can buy somthing new.

its a case to case basis have em inspected and if it needs changing or overhauling then do it.

A good regulator if maintained will last for ever. I have several regulators (Scubapro MK5) over 30 years old. A couple of them I use on my pony tanks.

I am looking at replacing some Dacor regulators that are a lot newer. Just because I can't get parts if I need them.

A regulator's life is just as long as you can get parts for overhaul.

When I switched from a jacket BC to a BP/W, I donated the BC to an aquarium where is still am the main user of it. I bought that BC in 1988.

I had a USD reg that I bought in 1988 that I finally gave away the first stage of because of parts issues. The second stages are still in use.

Unless there is a safety issue or a major performance issue, I use equipment into the ground.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seriously, as long as the gear is maintained, annually inspected and cared for, there shouldn't be any reason to change your gear -- unless you just want something new or different. There is also a benefit of keeping what you have: The longer you have functional equipment, the more familiar (and comfortable) you will be using it in your dives.

Change/Upgrade your gear when it...

1. Wears out/breaks

2. Your diving exceeds the capabilities of your gear

3. You see a new piace of gear that you just can't live without

I am constantly changing and upgrading my dive equipment. I also still use a Conshelf I bought used in 1971.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom