When To Dive Tiger Beach And Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate Rister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the diving is best in the winter, but would it be even worth it to dive Tiger Beach in May around the 10th?

I am an amateur underwater photographer and looking for something new to photograph. I have done the cenotes in Tulum, whale sharks in Isa Mujeres, manatees in Homosassa, and have also dove in Roatan, Ambergris Caye, Cozumel and St. Lucia.

Besides the Tiger Shark Beach, is the rest of the diving in Grand Bahama disappointing? Is there any other shark/dolphin diving in the area? Any recommendations for dive shops or hotels with dive packages?

I cannot do a liveaboard, so that is off the table unfortunately.

I did the shark dive with Stuart Cove which was interesting and spent a week on board one of Blackbeard's vessels (with another shark dive). I thought the diving was fairly good (although nothing like the tropical Pacific where I generally head). As a marine biologist I find most destinations of interest even if they have serious ecological issues (because I like to try to understand the impacts).

Due to my buddy's work we always dive in the late spring. And have dove the Bahamas just not Tiger Beach off Grand Bahama - although I have been there twice. Our trips are always pretty sharky.

One option is the Wyndham Viva Fortuna - it's an AI plus their on-site operator runs out to Tiger Beach once-twice/wk. Reef Oasis Dive Club|Shark Diving|PADI Dive Courses - Grand Bahamas No personal exp. with either.

More affordable could be Bell Channel Inn - they have an onsite operator/boat also. Where We Treat You Like Family!

UNEXSO also does shark dives/feeds and dolphin dives. Bahamas Scuba Diving & Interactive Dolphin Activities
In Port Lucaya - there's at least a couple lodging options nearby. Expedia lists them.

Cristina (Zenato) works there:

Last edited:
Drbill, unfortunately I cannot take a liveaboard. I would have to choose between Nassau or Freeport. Would you say the diving is good enough for 5 days of dives?

Diversteve, same question. Besides the sharks/dolphin dives, how is the reef diving? Disappointing? Also, would you recommend Grand Bahama or Nassau in early May?

We don't seem to have any places in common for a comparison.

Roatan IMO is better reef than the Bahamas but not as interesting - no sharks, no blue holes, etc. The Bahamas are also very clear water for photos. And overall brighter since the sand is very white.

I've never been to the Bahamas in early May so have no recommendation.

In case my previous post wasn't clear - I vacationed twice on Grand Bahama but all I did was snorkel due to g/f or family obligations. My Bahamas diving is all live aboard based.

Last edited:
The diving is not necessarily best in the winter, at all. I had an amazing tiger/lemon trip with Jim Abernethy in August. In fact, summer is by far the best diving conditions, usually very calm, very warm, and very clear. Winter is a lot more unpredictable. The only "winter specialty" is Hammerheads off of Bimini, which are best through March and which are expensive to reach. If you are interested look up Neal Watson for a local operator doing those trips. There is good reef diving around Bimini, also, but often with strong currents as you are right at the edge of the gulf stream. If I had to choose between Nassau and Grand Bahama purely for diving, I would probably go with Grand Bahama as you have access to tiger beach, dolphins, good reefs, a blue hole, just more variety.

Thank you for that Guy Harrison. I definitely will be going to Bimini in 2017. In terms of Grand Bahama, I see you did a liveaboard. Would you say a land-based dive trip would still be worth it?

I'm diving with Stuart Cove first week of May doing an AOW class....then some solo dives. I like warm and clear:)..be my first Bahama dive in decades.

Thank you for that Guy Harrison. I definitely will be going to Bimini in 2017. In terms of Grand Bahama, I see you did a liveaboard. Would you say a land-based dive trip would still be worth it?

Hi Kate, I think Stuart Cove runs day trips to tiger beach from West End, Bahamas. However, it is a moderately long run to the site from West End, and your diving time will be very limited compared to a liveaboard. Tiger Beach is a remote area. Still, I think these day trips would be worth it. But, you should allow yourself at least 3 days because it is "nature" and a show cannot be guaranteed every single day.

But, you should look to see if the cost of lodging, food and the day trips themselves would be much less than a liveaboard. I say this because the liveaboard has many advantages for visiting this area. You are on-site full time and so have much more time in the water (the diving is shallow so virtually unlimited bottom time). You can do night dives. You can look for and swim with wild dolphins (day and night), you just have far more options for diving than doing day trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom