When to take a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was OW certified dry and it wasn't a problem at allother than the wrist seal /dry cuff failing and swimming around for 20 minutes in the Puget Sound.Talk to your instructor see what he/she thinks.Ultimatley its up to your instructor any way.Definatley take the class, trial and error training is no way to learn in this sport .You may dive more often if you have a drysuit. I do just to ju$tify the purcha$e.

I've been trying to decide when in my diving career would be a good time to take a drysuit class. I know that eventually I will want to go that route because of where I'm likely to/most interested in diving (Great Lakes/Puget Sound/New England). But I'm also concerned that the task loading to maintain buoyancy with a drysuit may be too much too soon, to say nothing of the cost of drysuits or the fact that when I dove last August and September I was OK in a two-piece 7mm wetsuit. (I also have to realistically factor in that I probably won't get in more than 2-3 dive trips this year (~10-15 dives if I play my cards right).)

So, with that background, what advice/personal experiences do people have to offer?

In addition to what everybody else mentioned you might want to take advantage of the manufacturer's events like DUI DOG Days where you can try multiple types of dry suits during actual dives for a nominal fee.

The fee for DUI DOG Days last year was $8 and included a decent lunch. At the end when you turned the last suit back in they also gave you a DUI test Diver hat.

I believe other dry suit manufacturers have similar events.

I would like to reverse this,1 do the class and take the info and maybe different experiances(neopreen/trilam. with you when you go buy a drysuit.
When you buy it at the same store,most likely you'll get at least the course fee as a discount.

good luck with your choice.

Another very good suggestion. If you are not sure which style is best for you the C-card will allow you to rent any of the different types of drysuits and test dive them before you buy. Most OPs will not let you rent a drysuit unless you have a drysuit specialty C-card. Make sure you have them write it down on the receipt that the price of the course will be deducted from the cost of the suit if you buy it from them. This is an excellent suggestion being that drysuits are soooo expensive and you want to be happy with your choice. :crafty:

*ding ding ding* We have a winner~
If you're buying a suit from a shop, that's one of the reasons you'll be spending the extra $$ as opposed to buying from a good online source, who should be throwing in at least a training manual and/or DVD with the sale.
It's also real handy to have a buddy with a drysuit to assist & give pointers during your transition.
Training dives around piling were always one of my favorite places to take folks, it's easier to tie them down if ya have to. :eyebrow:
(just kidding, of course)
:wink:

I bought a signature series DUI CLX450 drysuit from one of the LDS's. Not only did they throw in the drysuit specialty course, but when it arrived they gave me a very thorough orientation of the suit. They showed me how to put it on, (wasn't able to try one on off the rack when I bought it) they checked it for fit, trimmed the neck and wrist seals, and also showed me how to properly maintain and store it. Can't get that kind of service from an on-line store. Well worth the extra $$$ for all that. :)

In addition to what everybody else mentioned you might want to take advantage of the manufacturer's events like DUI DOG Days where you can try multiple types of dry suits during actual dives for a nominal fee.

The fee for DUI DOG Days last year was $8 and included a decent lunch. At the end when you turned the last suit back in they also gave you a DUI test Diver hat.

I believe other dry suit manufacturers have similar events.

This is a great idea in that you can essentially "test drive" (or in this case "test dive") a drysuit before you spend your heard earned $$ on something you might be uncomfortable with. I own a drysuit but dive wet far more often than I dive dry. I personally like the feel of water on my skin. Of course, I'm only in 48 degree water for a few minutes and my 3 mil farmer-john keeps me warm enough until it is time to head to shallower and warmer depths. I do love my drysuit, however, but as nearly everyone has mentioned, it takes some getting used to. If you in fact go to a DUI Demo Day or something similar, make sure to research the different features you might want and let the company reps know about the specific environments you will be diving in so they can help you in making a selection if you decide to purchase one.

Lastly, make sure you research what type of undergarment insulation you might possibly need as well. This also goes hand in hand with the environment you are diving in.

Talk to your instructor see what he/she thinks.Ultimatley its up to your instructor any way.

Why would it be up to your instructor?

Lot's of good advice above. As you see there are many ways to look at it.

The bottom line is to get out there and dive. If that means "wet" for now then so be it. Plenty of us enjoy diving wet in New England for a good part of the season and a few do it for the entire year.

There is some task loading but in the north especially in Canada it is very common for students to certify in dry suits so it's manageable with a little extra pool time. There is no point in drysuit training until you buy are are ready to buy and want to use a class as a sampling opportunity. Depending on your progression, buddies or mentor you may find you see no need for a class when the time comes. A dive or 2 with a seasoned drysuit diver is ample for many. What there is to read you can find here and elsewhere for free.

If you can get your hands on some of the DUI material (print & video) there is a lot of good selection and use information there. Dog Days are another great chance to try & learn on the cheap.

Do your homework and when the time comes make your move.

Pete

Wait until you are ready to buy a drysuit. Most shops will throw in a drysuit certification course "free" when you buy the suit. Until then, work on your skills and just enjoy diving.
Good, practical approach. I bought a DS a little over a year after OW certification, and my first DS dive was #31. If you think a DS will increase the frequency of your diving, and you are ready for the financial commitment, buy one ASAP. Most shops add in the course as part of the sale. If you know you won't be ready to buy for some time, I wouldn't take the course just for the experience.

You don't need a course.

Just read up on DS diving - net, books, there are a couple of DVDs you can buy.

Then do some easy shallow dives in your new toy. Pool, pier, shallow OW are a good progression IMHO.

Then be prepared to hate it, really hate it. Be prepared to regret buying the damn thing and to consider giving up diving altogether :)

Then after about 6-10 dives you'll nail it and wonder how you ever dived without a DS :)

Most important is to read up on DS diving and how to get out of sticky situations. I practised all the skills under a pier and in the pool and was comfortable by the time I got to OW DS diving. I didn't take a course either.

Good luck. IMHO, don't waste your money on a course. Get it if it's free, if it's not, you can do DS diving without it.

Best time to learn a drysuit is when your doing your initial training.

Failing that as soon as possible after that. This isnt rocket science.

Im also highly dubious about drysuit courses - there really is nothing you can't learn yourself with a drysuit experienced buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom