When to take a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you decide you need to write on your underwater template in bold letters. I AM NOT IN MY WETSUIT. This will save you embarrasment in the future. I should have done this!

Whatever you decide you need to write on your underwater template in bold letters. I AM NOT IN MY WETSUIT. This will save you embarrasment in the future. I should have done this!

:lol::lol::lol: I would never have admitted that to "anyone". :crafty:

I've got the opposite issue- learnt from day 1 in a drysuit so still cant bring myself to "go" in my wetsuit. i annoy others by delaying/getting out to use the toilet.

I guess if i'd trained the other way round it wouldnt be an issue.

This is a great idea in that you can essentially "test drive" (or in this case "test dive") a drysuit before you spend your heard earned $$ on something you might be uncomfortable with. I own a drysuit but dive wet far more often than I dive dry. I personally like the feel of water on my skin. Of course, I'm only in 48 degree water for a few minutes and my 3 mil farmer-john keeps me warm enough until it is time to head to shallower and warmer depths. I do love my drysuit, however, but as nearly everyone has mentioned, it takes some getting used to. If you in fact go to a DUI Demo Day or something similar, make sure to research the different features you might want and let the company reps know about the specific environments you will be diving in so they can help you in making a selection if you decide to purchase one.

Lastly, make sure you research what type of undergarment insulation you might possibly need as well. This also goes hand in hand with the environment you are diving in.

There is a DUI Demo Day ~1.5 hrs away from me in a few months and I was thinking about going down to check it out. Does anyone know if DUI requires a Drysuit C-Card or prior experience for these events?

Having just purchased my first drysuit, I ask this in all seriousness. Just what is the big deal?

I am an accomplished diver with good skills, but all my diving has been in wetsuits. So the difference is the mechanics of adjusting the buoyancy characteristics and squeeze, getting my trim adjusted and going over safety protocols.

Do I really need a class or will just a couple of dives do the trick?

Many of these events are at LDS' pools. I hear others allow you to take it diving if an instructor accompanies you? Even if you can't dive it, you should definitely get one of their reps to help you with sizing, so you know what to look for when you try out other suits.

Even as a new diver, I did the latter and I'm pretty comfortable in a drysuit already. IMO, the main benefit of taking a class is:

1) if you take the class before you buy a drysuit, it's a great way to test it out on some confined and real ow dives, and heck you'll get some instruction on it tossed in.

2) you can buy/own a drysuit without a c-card, but you can't rent one without the card, oftentimes even from the same shop you buy from.. Depending on your diving situation, the card itself is worth more than the instruction as it can save a diving day or 3 if you suddenly tear your seal or spring a major leak.

Just things to think about.

Having just purchased my first drysuit, I ask this in all seriousness. Just what is the big deal?

I am an accomplished diver with good skills, but all my diving has been in wetsuits. So the difference is the mechanics of adjusting the buoyancy characteristics and squeeze, getting my trim adjusted and going over safety protocols.

If you have good bouyancy control then I wouldn't worry too much about a class. I took a class only because I had previously paid for my Master Diver training and it didn't really cost me anything extra. If you have ever gone fishing in waders then you will be familiar with how a drysuit feels. At the very least, dive with someone familiar with drysuit diving as you don't want to find yourself hanging by your feet and unable to right yourself because of improper inflation of the suit.

Some people maintain their bouyancy solely with their DS and don't use their BC. Others only inflate the DS to where it is comfortable then use their BC for bouyancy control. I personally like the latter but to each his/her own. Just figure out which one you like better and practice that way.

Dave,
As Dorks we can dive what ever we like :D:dork2:

Ok seriously,If I have read you well,over the last year(s) NO I don't think you need the class.
My wife and I bought our 1st drysuit after 500+dives and never took the class and never needed it.(Giving dry suit classes my self now:D)
For newer and/or less experianced divers,YES they do need it,i,ve seem them do some very stupid things.A few years ago one of these new,don't need the class divers did die,due to a barotrauma aka exploded lungs).He made a polaris ascend, feet first from 30m/100+ft.holding his breath.
Just do some shallow water practice dives and get the feel for the suit and of you go.
Drysuit is like any diving,you learn best doing it,step by step.

cheers and happy diving,

Evert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom