When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just posted.....

"I could dive in anything, but I'd rather gear I prefer, am used to, fits me well, and is really good"........I concur 100% - dive your gear for those great reasons......

Your first post......"Rental regs are often crappy"......is what I had an issue with.......

Assuming it is a solid dive op......the rental reg may be the lower end model but not crappy........
my second statement doesn't cancel my first. I didn't say rental is always crappy but...

a lower end model is sometimes (relatively) crappy, as in doesn't breathe quite as nice or breathes wet in odd positions. Maybe crappy is too strong a word there, but still.

sometimes rental is crappy because, even a shop that does a good job of maintaining their gear generally does not check it every single day. A day during which some doofus drug it through the sand, got water where it shouldn't be, or whatever. I think even sometimes, people (typically new) discover there's something not right and don't always say something, because they don't know better or who knows why? So a shop who would normally be right on it, just doesn't know and it goes out again.

And, sometimes, it really is just crappy. One could argue that you shouldn't dive with a shop who doesn't maintain their rentals well. And that's probably often true, but maybe not always.

Back
Top Bottom