When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES I BRING MY OWN REG!!!! AND I HAND CARY IT ON THE PLANE!!!

I have seen some pretty good rental regs at professional shops - and I have also seen absolute crap that interrupts the serinity of your diving with subconscious threats of killing you any minute!!!

Have seen WAY too many divers run out of air with the gauge still showing reserve because some numskull diver flooded the reg & got water in the air gauge!

Also heard you can get herpies from a reg does anyone know if this is this myth or truth?

yes even if you rent it from lsd make sure its current in good order the last time i dove off the resort shelf had a 2nd stage hose fail at 88 fsw so thats my 2 cents dive safe have fun hope to see you in the water

Bring my own,(full gear)

A Loooong time ago,when I just got my OWD cert.I ONCE rented.
I had a tear in the membrame.
On returning home we bought our own gear.

I will never ever rent again.
:no:

I bring my entire gear. As above posters mentioned. I purchased my gear so why not use it. I dont bring weights and tanks but everything else.

My regulator and octo have a computer attached (The Suunto Cobra) and it tracks my logs and monitors the vitals so its essential I dive with it :) just for the record keeping if nothing else!

I bring my own stuff. Rental stuff, for the most part, is overused, not in the best of shape, and has questionable service. I've seen way too many people have to call a dive short, with rental gear.

I am a firm believer in owning your own stuff. You get used to how it works, where all the right parts are (like dump pulls), and know how to "drive it". Kind of like borrowing someone else's car; you don't know how it brakes, accelerates, corners, etc.

And if I own my own toys, and know how to use them, you're durn tooting I'm bringing them with me.

Why spend lots of money to get, only to have a crappy trip due to potentially crappy gear?

I like my Seacure mouthpeice! My regs are overbalanced, which after a long day of diving, leaves me less tired out. I also like my weight intergrated BCD. And of course, since I own it, it would be a waste to leave it sitting on a shelf, while I'm out spending more money on rental gear. Not to mention, my gear is basically new, less than 50 dives.

From the few trips where I and my group has rented gear, we have had many guage failures SPG and depth, BCD's that don't fit, or leak, and even a mouthpeice coming loose from a reg at depth!

Not only do I bring my own set, I also bring a backup first and second stage and tools in case I have to switch out a something on the primary.

Just unpacked them, so yes I bring my own. As carry-ons. And FWIW, on the last two trips I travelled with buddies that don't own their own gear so we rented from the LDS and took those regs with us. This way we know we're getting a set from a shop that sees us as a long-term customer, not just a random tourist.

Back
Top Bottom