When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, of course, let's not forget the #1 reason to always take your own regs and never use the ones on the boat. If you use the ones on the boat/rental..............................you will die.

When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Or do you use the regs on the boat?

Please elaborate as to why you go either way on this subject.

Hell yeah, not taking into account that they are usually not nice to breath from, the major concern for me is you never know who was breathing from it and what kind of germs it has , cases when people vomit after being seasick are not that rare :D

For me, there are a couple of factors that play into what scuba gear I take:

--How long is the trip? A longer trip usually means more luggage and more room for the scuba gear.
--How many dives are planned? Is it worth it to drag the scuba gear along for just two dives?

A short weekend trip that I might get in a dive or two won't justify taking much, if any, gear. A week long trip with 20+ dives planned means everything (inlcuding spare pieces) is coming along.

computer would be the last piece of gear I don't bring, regs next. Everything else is negotiable. (Not including camera gear) However I normally travel with everything including spare bits. For trips I have to fly to I leave the lead and tanks at home. I know everything works and there is no getting aquainted dive required.

Regs in particular I know when they were serviced, the mouthpiece fits my mouth and I know who used it last - me.

Well..........

Most folks here bring their own gear and all for good reasons.........I can respect that....

I used to carry all our own gear - four divers no less......even once on an East Caribbean cruise......what a massive pain that was......but we had some great dives.......

Now, I look very closely at the dive shop I will be using and the profile of the dives......

I would say that over the years I have used some rental gear that is as well or better maintained than my own, as they are rebuilt every couple months and in perfect condition........

Vacation is about having fun, relaxing and limiting stress...........

Assuming we are going to world class dive op, then our minimum required dive kit is: c-cards, mask, light, booties, whistle, see-me tube and computer.......my darling bride adds her yellow SP Twin Jets........our darling daughter (age 13) adds her SP fins and reg because it has a tiny mouth piece.........

Our son will jump in the water with anything.......:)

He once did a hour long dive with a broken mask strap......no worries just was careful about clearing and equalizing and let sea pressure hold his mask in place......he laughed and showed me the broken strap after the dive, I had no idea........

Next on our list are wetsuits if water is cooler........

Now if we can't validate the dive op as world class - we simply don't dive with them.....

No worries about loosing luggage, or an item you brought failing........also drying gear before you go home is no fun.....

I think it was said before in a post......if you can't trust a rental reg from the dive op then how can you trust the tank on your back or the gas in the tank.........or that the boat will be there when you surface........

M

We also travel with a small bag of goodies......

Bolt snaps, mini retractors, secondary holders and cable ties......

So we can make sure we have no dangling equipment and can rig each setup so we are familiar with it.........

M

I bring my own gear except for tanks and weights. I'd bring them if it weren't for baggage restrictions. (Ok well, maybe not the weight, but definitely my own tanks if I could). :)

I just prefer to use my own as it is more comfortable and I am very familiar with how it works. The gear I use is not commonly available in dive shops for rental (BP/W, different hose set up to normal, well fitting wetsuit that hasn't been peed in 100s of times by different people, drysuit sometimes and so on). I like to have my own computer too, so I can download my profiles to look at after.

Also I look after my gear well, but I do not know if other dive stores do.

I always carry my own. Rental gear is usually not well taken care of and besides, who will rent me a double hose reg with yellow hoses? :scubadive:

I think it was said before in a post......if you can't trust a rental reg from the dive op then how can you trust the tank on your back or the gas in the tank.........or that the boat will be there when you surface........
trouble with trust is, my standards are higher than that. Sure I could dive in anything, but I'd rather gear I prefer, am used to, fits me well, and is really good, over gear I can just "trust." And I'm unlikely to find that in rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom