When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good advice - I’ll keep diving, expand my network, and will work on better communication.

Yeah I wanted to copy-paste a famous citation about "Gaining knowledge" there are so much good advice there.

And speaking about books and theory do you have some recommandations to buy @Steve_C ?

Rule #1 - Don't talk about solo diving with divers who've never done it. ...
Funny (but very on-point) reference to Fight Club.

You need to practice things that make no sense to buddy teams. Zip a drysuit by yourself in the middle of the night. Walk across mudflats without anyone to hold onto. That means you never have two solid contacts to the ground and it wears you out. Never sit on a bulkhead when worn out, your tank won't be supported and you will turtle in a flash. Almost broke my neck that way. The thinnest fishing line can be an unimaginable pain in the ass, never inflate to break free, learn to sweep your hands around you. A cheap razor-blade line cutter is your friend, especially when it is clipped to a loop on your cold-water glove. And on and on. Please share your experiences.

Baby steps, it is not a race. It is only you. Sometimes I just get a good meal, survey all the dive sites, turn around, and go home. Nobody ever knows.

Yeah I wanted to copy-paste a famous citation about "Gaining knowledge" there are so much good advice there.

And speaking about books and theory do you have some recommandations to buy @Steve_C ?

Depends on how much you know already.

Some of the cert books are pretty thin.

Two books that I found worthwhile when I was starting out were

The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving - A PADI book
The Certified Diver's Handbook by Clay Coleman.

Looking back on it I have lots of stuff highlighted in the Coleman book. But then I am a highlighter. There have been a number of SB posts where folks have asked "were you taught?". Most of that stuff appears in Coleman.

My OW instructor was a friend who was a tech instructor in two agencies. We then went on to do more courses together and to dive together a number of times in and out of courses. We still dive together. I get the impression from comments on SB that I was taught a lot more than in the typical OW course. If we were not dive buddies, I think the Coleman book would have been especially useful.

Currently only PADI Self-Reliant and SDI Solo diver are the only 'true' courses for solo diving certification ?
Except later gather more knowledges from own experiences or other' experiences.
PADI self reliant was not built that way, but they ‘changed the rules’. Drew said he would never have a solo diver course. So they wrote a self reliant course and it morphed into a solo course over time.

After doing a little reading, some answers to the original question: In addition to simply gaining diving experience,

Plan every dive, even if DM/guide gives us a general plan
Practice navigating - can go snorkeling at the beach in low visibility (sandy) water and try navigate patterns.
Go swimming with one fin.
Change masks at home with eyes closed.
Eventually, practice changing air source and shutting off valves.
Etc.
Etc.

I guess another way to ask the question could have been: what are some ways to practice dive skills when not on a recreational dive? As mentioned above, it isn’t necessarily about new or different skills, it’s about being a competent diver when unexpected things happen.

Honestly, most people I’ve met here so far would think I’m nuts with all this - not about solo diving, just taking diving and skills so seriously. Most people are so lax it’s rather disturbing. I feel like I have a new story with every chartered dive. Hence, I want to be more self reliant.

...//... Change masks at home with eyes closed.
You obviously have been 'infected'. Pointless to talk you out of it. Yes, change masks in the bathtub until you realize that a mask is a wonderful convenience, not a necessity.
...//... Eventually, practice changing air source and shutting off valves.
Yes, go out of gas time and again in the tub. Do it until you can feel it coming in your own gear. Then hold your breath. When you can't take it any longer start diaphragmatic compressions to gain more time. The whole point of this is that you are the guy who is never going to die alone underwater.

...//... I guess another way to ask the question could have been: what are some ways to practice dive skills when not on a recreational dive? As mentioned above, it isn’t necessarily about new or different skills, it’s about being a competent diver when unexpected things happen. ...//...
It is about being a survivor alone, cold, compromised, and in the dark. Truth is, even now, nobody really has your back.

Honestly, most people I’ve met here so far would think I’m nuts with all this - not about solo diving, just taking diving and skills so seriously. Most people are so lax it’s rather disturbing. I feel like I have a new story with every chartered dive. Hence, I want to be more self reliant.

My Openwater and Advanced were done with my girlfriend and someone who become our friend. We made quite 40 dives post-training together with a lot of talk at home and same in the boat. The dude and I made extra rescue training, we do Fitness together. We met other divers too and already made a meeting with bbq we were 9 people not bad. We do 1 training a week to train for Swimrun: Half run and Half Swim around 10 km

Now we know each other and always care.
Simple question like how was your sleep or if you have anything to tell us- how was your job if you feel tired (mostly our dives are weekend)

Its kinda hard with unknown person who might not want to share or even communicate. You know nothing finally except experiences and number of dives they might tell you. I already met some young group of friends who clearly didnt care about instructions or even listening the gm or the staff.

The idea to take each dives (even if known buddies are planned) under a self-reliant and solo diving training are interesting.

Yes.

And for some who see the light, it gets ever more interesting until it becomes a way of life.

The issue (and I believe this is a strong one) is that I don't trust people I don't know. You met one of your potential buddy 2 hours later at dive shop and next 2 hours you are underwater with him. Without to have a dive before with him.

It's hard and kinda strange to know and "evaluate" someone. I don't recall where a diver told me that you can trust a bit more a diver who was trained under a DIR agency because they push standards and training even higher.

I mean I know my regular buddies since 2 years that we all are certified. We all highly improved underwater or even into Fitness training. We know we are under no medications, no smoke, no drugs, no alcohol etc etc. Right now we are going to take EAN and Rescue courses and start to think about our first Triathlon race end of year or next year.

Now I have no clue about instant buddy- and even if I think I'm kinda sociable and talktative I don't feel right to force someone to give specific infos (only related to dive safety) if you don't feel right the first impression already. There are some much Youtube video about bad buddy than good buddy or poor communication.

Last edited:
I don't trust people I do not know. I think I can trust some people I do know but I really do not know. Bottom line is you do not know for sure how some one will react in a real emergency. Note that there is a difference between I have a problem, buddy does not and is there, AND buddy has a problem and I do not AND we are both under pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom