Whenever I surface I have to blow my nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have friends who say that if you don't need to pee during a dive then you're not sufficiently hydrated. Especially with more demanding dives in cold water.

If you don't even need to pee when you stand up at the end of the dive I do believe that you're cutting it too close on hydration. Feeling the urge, however you choose to honor it during the dive is a good sign.

Nope, quite serious. I had to PEE.
Besides, they have this cool new chemical called Chlorine I've seen being dumped in all the pools these days.

For heaven's sake - get out if you (think you may) need to pee. DO NOT pee in a swimming pool. There are many pools now which have disclosing chemicals added to them - if you pee you get a cloud of coloured water around you. In quite a few countries - I know this is true of Germany, Iceland and Austria - if you are found to have peed in a pool three things happen. First, you are publicly humiliated and evicted. Secondly, you are banned from any public swimming pool there for life. Thirdly, you are prosecuted and fined.

I used to live near the Cape Town suburb of Newlands, where they had a superb olympic-size pool. One day the public analyst closed the pool when she found it contained 1/3 urine. Sterile to be sure, but urine nonetheless. When the pool had been drained and thoroughly cleaned it was re-opened, and was the first South African pool to have the above disclosing chemical. The first (and only) person to be caught was a local resident and regular pool user. In addition to the fine and lifetime ban, she found the public humiliation so bad (her name, address and photo were on the front page of the Cape Times newspaper) that she left her job and moved away to the other side of the country - where she was still banned from ever going into a public swimming pool.

DO NOT PEE IN A SWIMMING POOL.

never had the snot problem, but i've had the pee problem many times. that is, after finishing a dive, i rarely have to empty my nose, but frequently have to empty my bladder--only to find that somewhere, the plumbing decides not to work until i'm out of the wetsuit. on one of my ow check out dives, i wound up stripping out of my wetsuit and jumped back in the ocean before i lost a couple pounds of "water" weight (even then, i found myself pulling down my board shorts first). that said, i think i'd rather have the pee problem than the snot problem. :)

That's very common, especially with people who for whatever reason don't want to or can't pee in their suits.

For heaven's sake - get out if you (think you may) need to pee. DO NOT pee in a swimming pool. There are many pools now which have disclosing chemicals added to them - if you pee you get a cloud of coloured water around you. In quite a few countries - I know this is true of Germany, Iceland and Austria - if you are found to have peed in a pool three things happen. First, you are publicly humiliated and evicted. Secondly, you are banned from any public swimming pool there for life. Thirdly, you are prosecuted and fined.

I used to live near the Cape Town suburb of Newlands, where they had a superb olympic-size pool. One day the public analyst closed the pool when she found it contained 1/3 urine. Sterile to be sure, but urine nonetheless. When the pool had been drained and thoroughly cleaned it was re-opened, and was the first South African pool to have the above disclosing chemical. The first (and only) person to be caught was a local resident and regular pool user. In addition to the fine and lifetime ban, she found the public humiliation so bad (her name, address and photo were on the front page of the Cape Times newspaper) that she left her job and moved away to the other side of the country - where she was still banned from ever going into a public swimming pool.

DO NOT PEE IN A SWIMMING POOL.
Dang, that would be humiliating for sure.

Growing up, the lifeguards at our neighborhood pool used to threaten us with those chemicals. I've always wondered if they were real.:11:

unless you are diabetic; urine is usually chemically inert in terms of physical reactions (e.g. coloration) - but i once read that known that chlorine gas reacts with urine to produce toxic fumes.
also, any mild acid (like venigar) will neutralize ammonia & urea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom