...where angels fear to tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I'm jumping into the tank full of DIR carnivores...

Backplate harness: I have an interesting "challenge" that maybe some of you could help on. I rig up my system by the book and I still have the left shoulder strap shifting off. When I adjust it...making it uneven with the right side...it gets better, but still wants to move. Plus the tank is now "off-line" with the center of my back.

Here is the odd twist...I took a good look in the mirror (hold those jokes, please) and my left shoulder is slightly slumped as compared to the right. Likely a result of being right handed, years of basketball, and other related physical stress (hold those jokes, please; part II).

So, my thoughts were the following:

Spinal transplant
Go see a witch doctor...aka Chiropractor (kidding about the wd part)
Put a wedge in my left fin...only works on land
or...
Chest strap (DIR taboo violation)
Cross the shoulder straps at the top of the plate (potential DIR violation)

I get by okay in the water but out I am constantly pulling the left side toward my neck. Any comments? (It is now okay to offer up the jokes...along with helpful suggestions, please):05:

Jon

Jon C:

Backplate harness: I have an interesting "challenge" that maybe some of you could help on. I rig up my system by the book and I still have the left shoulder strap shifting off. When I adjust it...making it uneven with the right side...it gets better, but still wants to move. Plus the tank is now "off-line" with the center of my back.

Here is the odd twist...I took a good look in the mirror (hold those jokes, please) and my left shoulder is slightly slumped as compared to the right. Likely a result of being right handed, years of basketball, and other related physical stress (hold those jokes, please; part II).

So, my thoughts were the following:

Spinal transplant
Go see a witch doctor...aka Chiropractor (kidding about the wd part)
Put a wedge in my left fin...only works on land
or...
Chest strap (DIR taboo violation)
Cross the shoulder straps at the top of the plate (potential DIR violation)

I get by okay in the water but out I am constantly pulling the left side toward my neck. Any comments? (It is now okay to offer up the jokes...along with helpful suggestions, please):05:

Jon

I have a similar problem (all hold the jokes too pls) and have made ends meet.

You can adjust the straps such that it will fit properly. It probably will take only very minor adjsutment of the straps. I would say to give it a try. Also the waist strap can keep things even as well if you tighten it a bit more. My suggestion: back to the drawing board and try again, it can be done.....

[whisper]

(psst! try the crossing behind the neck thing - not a violation as far as i know. disclaimer - no personal experience or knowledge whatsoever.)

[/whisper]

I have a shoulder like that too. But I haven't had any problems like you describe. Are you sure your harness is adjusted properly??

Well, maybe I am missing something but the first set-up was completely symetrical. The shoulder straps allowed 2 fingers to slip under snuggly. When the left started slipping, I tightened it up very snug...kept the right side at the original setting. Then the plate/tank tilts out of vertical...as it must if one side is shorter than the other.

If you think about it, the harness system is at a disadvantage to assymetrical bodies...That's not to say I am the Elephant Man...no one would/has noticed my left shoulder being different in height or size. But in general, people's upper bodies tend to be more muscular on their favored side. I am guessing that this difference in mass affects the harness symetry and as such would affect the fit. I am 6'0, with a small waist. This combination may amplify the problem.

If I don't get the adjustments to solve the problem I would rather do a chest strap or cross the shoulder straps than give up the BP. Even misaligned, it is still superior to traditional BC's.

Jon

Jon C:
Well, maybe I am missing something but the first set-up was completely symetrical. The shoulder straps allowed 2 fingers to slip under snuggly. When the left started slipping, I tightened it up very snug...kept the right side at the original setting. Then the plate/tank tilts out of vertical...as it must if one side is shorter than the other.

If you think about it, the harness system is at a disadvantage to assymetrical bodies...That's not to say I am the Elephant Man...no one would/has noticed my left shoulder being different in height or size. But in general, people's upper bodies tend to be more muscular on their favored side. I am guessing that this difference in mass affects the harness symetry and as such would affect the fit. I am 6'0, with a small waist. This combination may amplify the problem.

If I don't get the adjustments to solve the problem I would rather do a chest strap or cross the shoulder straps than give up the BP. Even misaligned, it is still superior to traditional BC's.

Jon

Most people will be able to see some difference between height of each shoulder once you point it out to them, and it's not always their dominant side that sits higher, but you are obviously somewhere at the far end of normal. <g>

I can't offer any additional advice on harness setup, only to comment that I can't imagine that you won't be able to adjust the harness so that it fits- it might take a lot of experimentation, but a BP is no less adjustable that other BCs that will keep your tank from flopping all over the place. Just remember that a BP is meant for in-water performance, not backpacking. <g>

Cameron

Chiropractor can help with that, I have the same problem.

Also, you can put a pad under the strap on the lower shoulder. It will pull the two straps even. Whether this is DIR I don't know, but as you've found out, if the straps are not even then the tank shifts. A small pad under the one strap could make land carries easier.

"but the first set-up was completely symetrical"

I had the same problem, all I did was adjust the straps so they would fit and did not worry that my tank looked a little off center. Im not going to any fashion shows.

Jon C:

Jon

A single tank rig will fit fine even if the shoulder straps are wildly two big. It is held in place primarily by the waist & crotch strap which should be snug. The backplate will shift slightly in the water until you get the should straps correct but not much. Have someone show you how to rig it that knows what to do. Also, the amount by which your tank is not perfectly aligned, even assuming your shoulders were freakishly different in height, should be insignificant in the water.

Jon C:

Jon
By tightening up the sloping shoulder, you may emphazise the difference, try loosening up the other side a bit....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom