Where are the Leopard Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mase

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have just completed my second Similan Live aboard of the season. The diving was great and the Mantas were plentiful at Koh Bon but something was sorely missed, the Leopard sharks. After 28 dives I have only seen one. In previous years, I have seen several Leopard sharks on every Live aboard trip. Is it just a matter of luck or has anyone heard similar reports? I have heard unsubstantiated reports that they have been seen at various markets.

I have just completed my second Similan Live aboard of the season. The diving was great and the Mantas were plentiful at Koh Bon but something was sorely missed, the Leopard sharks. After 28 dives I have only seen one. In previous years, I have seen several Leopard sharks on every Live aboard trip. Is it just a matter of luck or has anyone heard similar reports? I have heard unsubstantiated reports that they have been seen at various markets.

I've been diving in Thailand for 3 years, not intensively though, about 60 something dives and lots of snorkeling in many different parts of the country. Except for a whale shark in Richelieu Rock I have never, ever seen a shark here.

Devon Diver is right, they ended up in soup bowls. Is depressing to walk down Bangkok's China Town and see restaurant after restaurant with dried fins on display.

I saw them on Phuket & Koh Lanta, this December

We see leopard sharks practically every trip. Maybe not as many as 5 years ago, but still. We tend to see them at the dive sites where very few or no other boats go, though...

We've got leopard sharks down here near Phuket. I saw two just a couple of days ago at Shark Point.
Shhhh! Give 'em a chance!

Obviously, there are Leopard sharks about, I'm just not seeing them in the same numbers that I have seen in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom