Where Are Your Arms When You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1965034_10203172247367894_1125847266_n.jpg

This is pretty typical. I can't maintain the Bob Sherwood position, with the upper arm in line with the torso, and be comfortable. This much bend is comfortable enough to maintain for long periods of time.

This is pretty typical. I can't maintain the Bob Sherwood position, with the upper arm in line with the torso, and be comfortable. This much bend is comfortable enough to maintain for long periods of time.

That looks like a good position, though I like the "out stretched" arm position of your pictured dive buddy..."I'm king of the world" :D

Vegan Shark, it does get easier with practice. I found the outstretched arms and face forward unnatural and hard to maintain at first, but it gets easier over time. Eventually it gets easier and feels more comfortable.

Waving around all over the place,, more practice needed :)

Mike

Another reason to GO DIVIN', who cares if we 'doin' it right'....:)

'I dream of Jeanie'....folded in front of me.

Where ever I want them to be.I dive for fun it is not a competition to see who can be the most streamlined or look the prettiest. :cool2:

Oh yeah and sometimes my trim might not be perfect but again I dive for fun and do what works for me. :eyebrow:

Another thing..... I dive with a snorkel but haven't bought split fins yet. :rofl3:

I usually always have a camera with me and guess what..........my mask skirt is clear............how can I see all those pretty fish with the sun in my eyes? ( I shoot both video and stills professionally) :)

I've only been diving for almost 4 decades but what do I know? :D

Hands clasped in front usually.

A flat, streamlined body is important if you are working against current, or if you are in environments where the bottom is extremely fragile or easily disturbed. Developing the habit of using that posture in all diving settings makes it easier to adopt it when you really need it. But you'll notice I am far from horizontal in the manta photo -- by the end of the trip, I had decided that the best trim for a manta dive is perfectly vertical, so you can look up, down, and spin around on a moment's notice, because you never know where the mantas are going to be!

A flat, streamlined body is important if you are working against current, or if you are in environments where the bottom is extremely fragile or easily disturbed. Developing the habit of using that posture in all diving settings makes it easier to adopt it when you really need it. But you'll notice I am far from horizontal in the manta photo -- by the end of the trip, I had decided that the best trim for a manta dive is perfectly vertical, so you can look up, down, and spin around on a moment's notice, because you never know where the mantas are going to be!

I often spearfishing and this requires the same type of looking all around and being able to spin and check your back (for sharks).. a long time ago, I decided that horizontal was not the best position for this activity. Same for an ascent position, you have much better visibility and mobility if you are vertical versus flat.

I always got a lot of amusement about how people on this forum worry so much about perfect trim (or even where their hands are)..My hands always have something in them, so how to hold empty hands is not something I consider very often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom