Where can I go in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a good question to ask is when do you plan to do your traveling and diving? Water temps, surface conditions, visibility, and sunshine or the lack of will have a big impact on your experince and these conditions change with the seasons. For example, I was really enjoying the month of August diving in Puerto Galera, Philpppines because of sunny days and comfortable water temps. I went back in December-January and found the water too cold for my 3 mil suit and the sun was a scarce commodity, just not as much fun for diving. Since there are so many places to chose from in Asia you should have no problem finding the right place for the right time. The diving in Asia is wonderful and there are plenty of good ideas in the previous posts. My personal favorites based on cheap prices and good times are--Malaysia, Perhentian Islands--Thailand, Ko Phi Phi/Ko Lanta area---Philippines, Apo Island or Puerto Galera. Enjoy!

I just came back from Phuket (landed like 2 hours ago!) and it was fantastic. I did my Open Water certification there last year and went back this time to show my support to the people there. Please please ignore what you see on CNN, BCC and all the other news channels - Phuket is fine and have cleaned up amazingly fast. Hotels there are getting 10% occupancy so many rooms to be had for bargain prices.

After all, I'm never certain that if I donated $100, whether that whole $100 goes to the people of Phuket whereas if I went there and spent money, it would help the economy more directly. That's my two cent philosophy ...

I dived with West Coast Divers and they were great. Bt2400-Bt2800 for whole day trip depending on where you go. Transport to and from your hotel to jetty included plus breakfast, lunch, fruits, unlimited Coke and water etc. I dived at Racha Yai (1.5hrs sailing from Chalong Bay in Phuket) and Phi Phi Island (3hrs sailing). All reefs were undamaged and plenty, plenty of fish and marine life.

Hi all again. It looks like I will book my Asia stop as Thailand.
It's just deciding which beach or island. Koh Samui looks like the best place but I will keep Phuket as option too.

CherryO:
Hi all again. It looks like I will book my Asia stop as Thailand.
It's just deciding which beach or island. Koh Samui looks like the best place but I will keep Phuket as option too.

Koh Samui and Koh Tao are great holiday destinations. However I would rate the dive sites off Phuket way higher than those around Samui.

If you are looking for absolutely world-class dive sites, I would recomend a bit more research on destinations in Malaysia and Indonesia.

So why doesn't anyone say Bali??? If you're doing an around the world and have one stop in Asia, Bali has terrific diving- from Padang Bai to Nusa Pendida to Tumbalen to Secret Bay- and fantastic on land scenery and culture. The best dive spots (and in my mind best spots period) are north of the tourist areas around the airport and far away from the terrorism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom