Where did you dive this weekend? Spring 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This was thread I enjoyed last year. So where'd ya' dive, what did ya' do?

White Star quarry in northern Ohio was the choice this weekend. I joined up with a couple other ScubaBoard members. Bottom temperature was 48F, which made the shallow safety stops feel a bit hot. It was a sunny, warm, but windy day.

Dive # 1 was for 31 minutes at 51 feet. (Doh!) Fortunately I dive with a computer. We saw a huge largemouth bass in the shallows just before we exited. My buddy picked up a Duracell battery from the bottom.

Dive # 2 we had a threesome and a camera. It was 34 minutes and 50 feet. My dive buddies undressed me :eyebrow: so I could make a run to town for charcoal to grill the burgers.

Dive # 3 was the bonus round. The AOW class, which does really well, recovered 5 of 6 underwater navigation buoys. We swam out at heading 305 and had the buoy in hand in 8 minutes. My buddy calculated the heading, so he gets all the credit! Among the miscellaneous garbage we cleaned up on the way in was a fishing lure and about 10 feet of line. 21 minutes and 50 feet.

Went to Lake Juliette today with Jeremy JKSteger. It was a lot better than I expected. The vis was really pretty good--I'd say at least 10-15', maybe a little more. The water temp was not bad at all either. I believe it was about 77 at the surface and 69 about 30' down. There was a lot of tall grassy spots, but I just pretended I was in the West Coast Kelp forests. I guess this is the Georgia version. I didn't see a whole lot of fish, just some really small ones, but Jeremy said he saw a pretty good size bass. This was my first shore dive from a lake so it was a little messy at first as I got tangled up in the flag tow line. After that, I learned where I needed to stay and things went very smooth after that (except I need to work on my buoyancy some). I did pretty good though after a while. I would say this is definitely a good place to go and get wet and blow bubbles. It's only about 20-30 minutes from the Macon Diver's Supply where I had to get my tank, so I can leave home about 9:40, do two dives, and be back home before 4:00. This is what I was looking for...somewhere where I can dive every weekend if I want to without making a major trip. Of course, I will still go here and there, but this is a great short-notice location for us middle-Georgia divers. Jeremy is a very good dive buddy and I felt totally at ease. We hope to get a few more people in this area interested in a day at the lake with a cook-out and all that. I guess we will need a name...Macon Waves, or something catchy like that. Any ideas?

I spend the day at Twin Quarries in Circleville Ohio. I was doing my navigation dives for my AOW.

The good thing is the Quarries are only about 20 feet deep because the water temp at the bottom was a tropical 58 degrees.

There was a lot of OW class there doing there checkout dive and one thing I hate to see is the instructor conducting the class in a dry suit and the students freezing their tails off in a 3mm suit. If the instructor thinks it warn enough for the students to get in he or she should be wearing the same protection.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow! 58 degrees..we don't see that up here in the PNW! Some places are still hitting 48 at depth. It will get to a warm 52 later this summer.
I didn't get to dive yet this weekend. I'm hoping to go Sun with my dive buddy and Mon while everyone else has to work.
K

We went to the Gulf of Mexico spearfshing out of St. Marks and Carrabelle, FL. My first spearfishing experience. Had a blast and even got a few fish. Those were my first dives in the Gulf also. Nice 84 degree temps and 78 degree water on Saturday. Sunday, the area we were in had a thermocline and it was a bit chilled below it, but nothing we couldn't get used too. I'm not a born-again, diehard, spearfisherman now, but I did have a good time and will go again. :D

This weekend? In a swimming pool. My LDS just offered a free "try scuba" to an inner-city neighborhood. Was a wonderful experience...for them and for me. Five hours at four feet, that's a dive, right?

Went out of Palm Beach inlet spearfishing. Water temps 78, vis up to 100', and next to no current. Dove the goveners walk wrek site and a deeper ledge to 115'. Some really nice fish seen and a couple boated. All in all a great day on the water.

very laid back night dive off Palm Beach Friday then off gassing at the Brass Ring Pub

80-FOOT REEFS [back to top]
4. Awesome Alley - This beautiful reef line, located close to the inlet, has lots of coves, gullies and brightly colored sponges. During turtle mating and nesting season you can see as many as a dozen turtles on one dive! Moray eels, lobsters and many other creatures live on this reef. It is a great dive when the current is strong because it is very long and easy to follow. Spearman's Barge is located at the north end of the ledge in 65 feet.

St Andrews jetties in Panama City Beach, FL. 70 degrees at depth, 15 ft viz below the thermocline. I saw sea hares, sheepshead, grouper, redfish, various small things, & even some hog fish.

Dove Monterey Breakwater 51 degrees, 34' for 47 minutes.
Dove Carmel Monastary Beach 50 degrees, 47' for 42 minutes.

Beutiful day in Monterey area and nice second dive. Time to move away from breakwater, will definately be spending more time at Monastary beach.

Back
Top Bottom