Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sias corner and Ulong channel in Palau.

Uulong channel is awesome, and in someways and on somedays it's better than the more famous Blue Corner. Today was one of those days. We dropped immediately into about 10 gray reef sharks who circled our location, no more that 10-30 feet away. We sat there watching the sharks, barracuda, and napolian rapptors for 22 minutes, without having to move. Then we popped into the channel and drifted at a fast pace past some white tip sharks, (sleeping at the bottom at arms reach distance) then by a wall of cabbage coral, and then checked out a 6 foot giant clam. It was about an hour of non-stop action - totally awesome.

What can I say, I'm a shallow person... :embarassed:
I think that you live in the Netherlands, the country is flat and one dives shallow. I live in Switzerland, a very mountainous country and the lakes are often deep that one cannot go down, because the bottom is often with 200 meters (660 feet), and one often sees very large cliffs.

I think that you live in the Netherlands, the country is flat and one dives shallow.
There's enough opportunity for deep diving, however the sites are the most interesting up to 15m. North Sea wrecks are completely different.

Ok, it was yesterday...but.. A local freshwater lake. 29min, 29F water(didn't feel it though) max depth 72'. Not much to see..some silt, a golf ball, a few beer bottles..but just had the desire to get wet..

For the first time I had some apprehensions which were odd. I was cruising (if you call frog kicks cruising..lol) along at about 40' practicing my frog kicks, watching my silt trail to see how I was doing..and I looked down the sloping bank to the depths below and had a really strange feeling come over me..I considered turning back there and then. The feeling was bizarre as I have dove deeper, and darker waters..but there was a fear there..I thought about it for a bit...and dropped down the bank to 50' and started heading back to where I came from...then, turned around again, and dropped to 60'....then came back at 70'...by the time I did that last turn and was moving along at 70'...the feeling was gone, I was comfortable again...I got back to the starting point and hung out at 30' for awhile did some buoyancy testing and really slow ascending...all in all a good dive..some skills worked on..and got to get wet..lol

I think the fears/apprehensions were based upon the fact that I had too much time to think and nothing to see..lol The lake has claimed many lives over the years, including family and friends. None were diving though..but also none have been recovered.

I think I will be much more comfortable next time (if there is reason for a next time) in the lake..

We were at Molasses reef(ball#5) today. 1-3 foot gentle waves, 60 feet viz, moderate to strong current, turtles everywhere and a 6ft reef shark. Oh and a buffoon from a dive op cutting across the reef(1st time I ever saw a dive op do that)

Today's dive...

[table 0 0 3]Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
Nieuwe Kerkweg|66 Minutes|16M/52Ft|16C/61F[/table]
I'm not saying we saw many lobsters but unleashing a dozen ONESPEED's on the first day of mini-season would not have made a dent in this population. :)

So, where did you dive today? :)

#300... :yeahbaby:

[table 0 0 3]Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
Galderse Meren|39Minutes|15M/49Ft|13C/55F[/table]
My first dive in a drysuit.

So, where did you dive today? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom